Western Side

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by rayallen, Apr 7, 2020.

1. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

This is the western side of our community centre. Canon EOS-20D, Canon EF 17-40 f4.0 L USM. 1/200, f5.6 ISO 100. This EF lens is almost like an 18-55mm kit lens on the APS-C sensor. I continue to be amazed at its sharpness.

_MG_3562.jpg

JRS950 and Craig Sherriff like this.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Good to see you getting a bit of photography in, Ray.
    It's been 15 days since all my classes and my volunteering at Vinnies have come to a halt. Now for the past 7 days I have been getting in to the staying at home thing.
    My day starts off with crawling out of bed at 9.00 or 10.00 am ( I have not worried about a shower for a few days or is it 5 or 6, not going anywhere) wandering into the lounge-room and sitting in my chair in front of the telly that has the computer hooked up to it.
    Exercise consists of going to the fridge and back to my chair.
    I thought of doing a still life for this month comp but for the life of me, nothing seemed to look ok , must clean up the kitchen sometime where I attempted to do the still life.
    I think I am putting on a bit of weight, so I did more exercise by going to the fridge and back to my chair in the lounge-room.
    With all this free time, I thought of getting stuck into building my darkroom under the house but going to get timber and stuff is not considered essential travel, so I canned that idea and got up and went to the fridge and back to my chair, got to keep the exercise up.
    I think I have got this being a responsible adult down pat and the government bribed us all with 750 dollars to stay at home but goodness me I will be glad when it is all over.

3. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Ray, I finally got some photography done.
    I was thinking along the lines of a still life and this photo was the only thing I could find that sort of fitted Jonsey's description of a still life.
    Definition: A still life (plural: still lifes) is a work of art depicting mostly inanimate subject matter subject matter, typically commonplace objects which are either natural (food, flowers, dead animals, etc.
    I have my long time friend Gordon couch surfing at my place. he has been there for about 12 months now.
    Since the virus caused us to be isolated at home, he is now practicing social distancing in the corner of the lounge-room.
    I was going to use this as a still shot.
    It seemed to comply with most of the requirement, inanimate objects carefully placed in a artistic barrier with a dead animal in the centre.
    To make sure he was dead, he smelled like he was decomposing, I grabbed the fireplace poker and jabbed he in the stomach but unfortunately all it did was make him fart and start snoring.
    Ray do you think Johnsey will make a exception as he looks dead. Gort.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Paul F likes this.
  4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Good to see that you are able to get out a little and use your cameras.

Gary

5. rayallen

Dear oh dear, Craig! I hope that you are exaggerating a bit. But I fear that you may not be and I am a bit worried about you. You really need to look after yourself better than that. I have been getting out and about in our village trying to find something to photograph. I need that for my mental well-being.
    I did not manage any photography yesterday as I spent 4 hours on a Skype call with my 3 photography buddies where we showed each other how we processed 4 supplied images. That was very enlightening. And after that I spent another 1.5 hours on a Skype call with my brother and 3 cousins. We all live long distances apart and this was a good way to catch up and practice extreme social distancing.
    I hope that you had an exciting day.

6. rayallen

From what I can see, yes, I think that image almost fits the competition theme.
    The reason why I say almost is because it certainly fits the STILL part but I am not too sure that there is much LIFE there.
    I'll leave it to you to work on that!

7. rayallen

Oh yes, Gary, that is what I need to do to prevent cabin fever.
    Boy, I am very glad that I wasn't on one of those cruise ships or I might have had real cabin fever.

8. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Hey Craig, sounds as if you need to get into a more positive routine. I know that most of us are in a lockdown but there are things that we can do both mentally and physically that is better for us. We are restricted in this country to what we can do, but we are still allowed to get outside and walk and move around, manly for our mental well being. Make a few changes, and you may feel a whole lot better.

Gary

9. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Thanks for your concern,Ray, no need to worry, I was making light of the present situation, I do get out of the house a bit, I take one of my disabled friend to get essential supplies such as groceries, Meds etc.
    I am on You Tube a lot looking up subjects for my class when it starts back up.
    I am also lucky to have a creek and bushland beside and behind my property.
    So stay safe Ray regards Craig.

10. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Gary,no need to worry, I find making light of our present situation puts me in a good place mentally and this is the first time in many years I can just sit around and relax.

11. rayallen

Oh, that is good news, Craig. I'll stop worrying.
    It sounds like you should have plenty of photo ops within walking distance. Keep shooting.

12. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Thanks, Ray.
    I do have plenty of things to shoot but I am holding off till I really get run out of things to do inside, this is the first time in a few years that I can just sit and veg out.
    there is several small flocks of Native Hens living in and around my property, when I get the need to do some photography I intend to get some shots of them, I still have a heap of digging under my house or should say chiseling at the rock hard soil so I can put flooring down for my darkroom. My only worry is getting my photography class up and running after all this virus stuff is over but on the core group of my students have been involved for many years so it should not be too much trouble getting it going again, thanks for caring Ray it is very appreciated.

13. rayallen

No problem, Craig. We do care for each other and it's good that you won't run out of things to do.
    I have been keeping our photography club going by getting members to submit images digitally via email while we can't meet in person or have outings.