What caused this white part on the right side of my photo?

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Gambl0r, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Gambl0r

Gambl0r New Member

Equipment:
    Canon R5
    28-70 f2
    I was doing a photoshoot at a convention of several people and for this particular cut, the right side of the frame had this prominent white line for some reason. This was on every picture for this particular person. For the other shots it didn't show up. I shot on 1/125 f2 ISO 500 with a b10 for fill flash, the same setting I used for the rest of the shoot.

I am wondering what caused this weird line, thank you for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    If you were holding the camera in portrait mode then it could be a shutter fault or flash synch problem, we really need to see the whole frame and not just a crop. Also what is the b10 you mentioned.

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Gamb10r. I have no idea but it could be shutter related, may I suggest you put the question to Johnsey as he is knowledgeable in this area.

4. Gambl0r

Gambl0r New Member

Equipment:
    Canon R5
    28-70 f2
    Thank you for the replies!
    As for which B10, it is the Profoto B10 Off Camera Flash. I was at a low power, just enough to light the models face. As for showing the whole picture, it is a risqué picture so I can't show it to protect the models privacy.

I just bought this camera this month so I would hate to think that it is having shutter problems this early. Years of photography, it is my first seeing this phenomenon.

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well l do not have the R5 or your b10 unit, but I tend to agree it looks like a sync issue between shutter and flash. I'm not sure if your using wiring or some sort of trigger to get TTL Sync, it may have been a failure there somehow.
    I do see something highly reflective in the corner that seems to run the same line as the bright portion which seems interesting. Without more of the situation and maybe recreating I think we are all speculating.

6. Gambl0r

Gambl0r New Member

Equipment:
    Canon R5
    28-70 f2
    Thank you for the reply!

Im hoping this is just a one time problem that won't show up again in the future.