what ya seen, a general discussion

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Caladina, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    not sure if there general discussion thread on the forum where you can chat about what you been seeing but not got any images or the only images you do have are best described as identifyers.

in the last few weeks i've been seeing quite a few new birds to me, lot of the images are brief captures from along way off when i have been using other lenses (prompted me to getting a second body for that reason!!)
    and a lot of images of birds in trees with a ton of thin branches.

but i have also seen a couple of birds of prey too, just today i have seen my first buzzard, and like the red kite which i did post on the main images thread it was along way off on thermals, well this one was actully dipping in and out of being visible due to distance in height
    I've cropped in heavily and blown out the sky in edit to get a better identifying image, the height was well beyond the reach of the 100-400mm sigma lens for a good clarity image anyway.
    Fortunately i had the iso locked in at 100 so the heavy crop wasn't that bad
    unidentified bird 1.jpg

an un-edited, un-cropped image
    unidentified bird 2.jpg

also new to me this spring are nuthatch, long tailed tit, green finch (no image at all of that yet), dunnock, black redstart, chaffinch, as i have only been doing proper photography for two years and never was really a major birder before some of the new to me birds are common ones but still, its great fun finding your first one then the fun in trying to get a great image of them later on too

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    An interesting discussion you have started Caladina, I am lucky to see many different species here in tasmania, most are seen in and around our suburbs due to the many parks and reserves we are fortunate to have here in Tasmania.
    Some I have already put up.

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    This was taken from a recent visit to Royal Hobart Botanical Gardens with my Photography Class. lens used was a 75 - 300 mm lens, I was lazy and could not be bothered walking around the pond area so I used a bit longer lens to capture the scene. Duck on pond.jpg