Whats the best Memory Card to use?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by VikingSteve, May 6, 2021.

1. VikingSteve

VikingSteve New Member

Equipment:
    EOS M50
    Kit - 15-45mm
    Canon EF-M 55-200mm
    Fatasy PK-EOSM - 135m
    Deitz - 80-200mm
    just lost in SD card world. I own a M50 and looking for a new SD card, but the ABV that comes with it and download upload speed.. EKK!

Mirco or normal size ? sorry no clue what any one these means for Digital cameras. looking into a 256 or higher.

SDXC - UHS-I - Speed Class - UHS Speed Class - Video Speed Class - Data Transfer - Application Performance Class - Bus Type

Sorry if this is a easy one to answer, i just wait something to load Pictures and maybe some 2k or 4k videos.
    thank you :)

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    64gb.jpg

i have the M50 and i have a couple of these, i've only used one, it stays in my camera all the time i download via wifi to my mackbook, never formatted it its been fine since jan 2020
    I only shoot photos on my M50 and jpeg at that so check if you shooting raw you need bigger, i shoot jpeg because i find the M50 buffer too slow for fast burst wildlife in raw, i get what i need with jpeg just fine.
    my gf has the same and she does youtube vlog type stuff, she takes hers out and puts it into her macbook to drag and drop as vids take an age over wifi
    her vids are not 4k just regular ones so check if you need faster / bigger

VikingSteve likes this.
  3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    • Rule of thumb is to stick to the big brands like Samsumg Sandisk and Lexar. Cheap ones can have problems.
    • You camera takes SD format, you can get a micro as long as it comes with a SD converting holder that sizes it up to standard SD size.
    • The HC and XC have to do with size and they cards became more modern and have larger storage size ranges. This should not matter as your talking 256 card size.
    • The faster the card speed the better, UHS -1 would be nice but as long as your getting 100/mb/s or better i think your fine. Unless others with an M50 have said they had issues with 4k on non-uhs1 which you would think would have been noted as a recommended in you manual. It was not, so again I think your fine without UHS1 as Caladina said, but UHS is becoming a need with higher resolution video recording so it may not be a bad idea to future proof if you decide to get an R5 or something down the road.

VikingSteve likes this.
  4. VikingSteve

VikingSteve New Member

Equipment:
    EOS M50
    Kit - 15-45mm
    Canon EF-M 55-200mm
    Fatasy PK-EOSM - 135m
    Deitz - 80-200mm
    Thanks for the info and Johnsey , thanks for the detail info, it helped. and up getting this.

[​IMG]
    hope all this info helps other. and sure did for me, never know half this. I been using a used one for a Phone. eeks. <3<3

5. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    no problem, we here to help, btw which efm lenses do you have for the M50?

VikingSteve likes this.
  6. VikingSteve

VikingSteve New Member

Equipment:
    EOS M50
    Kit - 15-45mm
    Canon EF-M 55-200mm
    Fatasy PK-EOSM - 135m
    Deitz - 80-200mm
    <-- list of list i have so far.

still getting into this. aiming for a 1000mm + down the long line. :)
    Canon EF-M 15-45mm (came w/kit)
    Canon EF-M 55-200mm

7. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    as you have the 55-200mm Dorr make a nice set of extension tubes for efm they work very will with this lens for getting closer to subjects like insects and flowers, they cost around £80 on ebay new or you can go to their website, highly recommended
    I use the M50 for wildlife, its the reason i went for the crop, i use a sigma 100-400mm contemporary with the normal canon ef adapter.
    this set-up works well with the canon ef x2 mkIII teleconverter to further double the focal length, you do loose some light but mostly its ok
    i have used two teleconverters stacked with that set up also but it requires more light and a bit more dedication on what you want to do at those lengths

8. Luna Westller

Luna Westller New Member

If you're looking for a great performing memory card with a decent amount of storage capacity, while keeping costs down, then the SanDisk Extreme 128GB microSD Card is a very good choice. Unlike the 'Pro' versions, this is a budget memory card, and it offers UHS Speed Class 3 compatibility, so if you're taking videos in 1080p – or even 4K – then this card will be plenty fast enough.

Best of all, it features water, temperature and shock-proof technology, so you can take it out and about with you without worrying about it getting damaged. That's why I'm using this from last 2 years.

Thanks & Regards
    Luna
    mycamkit.com