Which zoom should I buy?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by LongHairedDavid, Jan 25, 2022.

1. LongHairedDavid

LongHairedDavid Member

Equipment:
    Canon 90D, 18-55 Canon Zoom, Canon EOS650 + 35-80 Power Zoom

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Variable aperture on both, IS on both, crop sensor only lenses. Both of these are consumer lenses with similar build quality and features if you do not count zoom length.

The biggest difference here will be the zoom length, the 18-135 is overlapped with your 18-55, so I would consider the 55-250 over that for that reason. If you want to get some reach and not feel like you need anther zoom lens soon the 55-250 STM is a good choice as it has a much longer zoom than the other.
    The 55-250 STM is supposed to be a decent performer optically, where the earlier models were not as sharp. I would have hesitated to suggest the old model of that lens, wanted to let you know to keep an eye on which version of the lens it is. The 18-135 is a good choice if you want more reach but do not want to switch lenses back to the 18-55 to shoot wide.

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    pretty much what johnsey said is what i would have said too
    a question, what are your intended targets for the zoom lens general walk about shooting or more specific subjects like birds / wildlife?
    reason i ask is thinking ahead and as mentioned the overlaps are worth thinking about going forward too, i know this from hindsight.

i have both the 18-150mm and 55-200mm on my system (efm) a similar situation to your lens options, on a daily basis if i'm going out for a general walk about and i don't really know what i'll see i always grab the 18-150mm without thinking to hard about it and a fast 32mm or 50/56mm prime for when we inevitably go to a pub etc for lunch
    the main reason is the tele lens with the wider end is so much more versatile than the one starting out at 55mm it also has a much closer minimum focus distance which also is good for and close ups too like a flower or bug you might want to get.
    like you i do have the shorter kit zoom mine is 15-45mm but it is right in that range where you would want to be changing lenses if you were to take out (in your case) the 18-55 and the 55-250mm

another + for the proposed 18-135mm is it fits in nicely if you did indeed want to go for a 100-400mm later on

pretty much most of what i ave said is the same as what has already been mentioned, but that choice of to change lenses out in the field or to go for the more versatile lens makes a difference when you shooting, but again it does depend on what you have in mind for it

if you are in the uk it might be worth taking a look at mpb.com they are a uk based second hand camera gear seller and have an excellent reputation across many forums and clubs, i have used them many times from ef adapters to £900+ lenses and i've never had a problem with any thing, everything i have had from them delivered to london is via dpd which is a great company

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

My take on this question is "what is your current lens not giving you?"

If you are finding the lens is not wide enough, long enough, fast enough, or doesn't give you the results that you are looking for. Then we can offer a more informed opinion.

Gary

Roscoe Primrose likes this.
  5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Yeah to be fair my response was based on the want for longer zoom and the two options given, likely based on budget.

David if you want more out of any of these lenses we can definitely suggest other options. But that is dependent on what you need and can afford. I would suggest future lens purchases you maybe get away from cop sensor lenses as if you ever decide to upgrade from a 90d you may very well go to a full frame sensor in the future.

6. LongHairedDavid

LongHairedDavid Member

Equipment:
    Canon 90D, 18-55 Canon Zoom, Canon EOS650 + 35-80 Power Zoom
    Well, I decided to stay with cropped and to stay with Canon so I have a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM on order. I did my first sun lit run around the Ipswich waterfront on Saturday and found the 18-55 quite limiting so I am looking forward to the extra scope that this new lens will bring.

7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Excellent stuff. Let us know what your impressions are of it when you get your hands on it.

Gary