Why are my EOS 40D pictures so red?!

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by AstroDave, Apr 28, 2021.

1. AstroDave

AstroDave New Member

Hello All - I am new here (but a long-time participant over at the Pentax forums), and will start with a problem that maybe somebody here can help me fix.

I was recently given a bunch of cameras by a friend of my wife - they were her late husband's (and state-of-the-art 10 to 15 years ago: Canon EOS 40D, Canon 5D MkII, lots of Canon lenses, Canon G10, and a Sony NEX-7 -- nice haul!!)

About the Canon EOS 40D: After a few rounds of battery charging, I finally got it to take some pictures. But - they are all very, very red. This occurs for both jpg and RAW images.

I (think - navigating the menu system can be confusing) reset the camera to default settings, and the problem persists.

It looks like the gain (or whatever) of the red channel is much too high. There are both green and blue data as well, but the red dominates.

I can sort of get an image to look correct by adjusting colors in PhotoShop Elements / Darktable / RAW Therapee but the results are from from acceptable.

Any ideas what's wrong and/or what to try? If I can't fix it, the camera will go to Ebay as a parts provider.

I have attached a SOC jpg file (of various stuff lying around on my desk) and a file showing a simple attempt to correct the color by using PSE's color fix option.

RedImage4746.jpg CorrectedImage4746.jpg

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Dave. May I suggest you direct your quirey to Johnsey as this may be in his area of expertise.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
  4. AstroDave

AstroDave New Member

I really doubt it - I'm pretty sure that this was just this fellow's daily shooter. I'll ask his wife, though.

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum Dave.

Tricky problem that you have presented here. But the only things that I can think of is do you have a filter attached. I am thinking of one of those clip in filters that you use in front of the mirror. I am sure that you have checked to see if there is one screwed to the front of the lens.

Secondly, what happens if you shoot a couple of images using daylight for your white balance?

As a long shot, have you tried a different memory card?

Gary