Wi-fi download from SX600 HS, used to work but broken by Canon 'upgrade'

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by David Barham, May 1, 2020.

1. David Barham

David Barham New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX600 HS
    I've been using the wi-fi download from my PowerShot SX600 HS to my windows 10 PC since I purchased the camera a few years back with no issues. At the end of March it stopped working completely just giving an error connecting to server. It appears that at this point Canon turned off an internet based service which the download facility relied on.
    Canon support told me to use image.canon and I tried to follow the instructions to set this up. However when you get to select which model of camera you are adding the option list does not include the PowerShot SX600 HS, nearest appears to be a SX620. If I try to follow the instructions as best you can my camera just gets to a point where it says 'Set correct date and time' even though these are set correctly.
    Is this just a case of built in obsolescence and I just have to give up using wi-fi now and continue to use a USB cable or is there a work around? It would seem really annoying if Canon can just kill the wifi download function on a camera which was advertised as having that feature.