WiFi Remote Control & Liveview

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Felix, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Felix

Felix New Member

Equipment:
    Cannon EOS Rebel t7i
    Hi!

I am using my EOS Rebel t7i for quite a bit of astrophotography. I'm using a 600 mm focal length telescope as the lens and need to take exposures of 60 seconds of more. I can't have any camera shake at all, so I have been using Canon Camera Connect for Remote Live View Shooting on the bulb setting. That works great. HOWEVER, the wifi connection gives out frequently between shots, especially the phone is dormant for a while. How can I make that connection last longer? Is there a setting? Also, it takes a long time to connect the devices. Any shortcuts for that?

Also, when I am using Liveview for the night sky, the screen is pitch black. I have the ISO set to 6400 and the exposure set to bulb, yet none of the stars show up. The stars are sharp and vivid on playback after taking the shots. Any thoughts on how to make the stars visible on live view? It's essential for focusing.

Thanks!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    So live view to maintain a refresh rate of what is happening is working at a fraction of a second shutter speed. Lets just say 1/30 or 1/60 or faster. If you have to take a shot that is seconds long for the stars to show up live view would have to perform the same way and then it would be delayed view not live :p .
    For focusing night sky you will want to manually focus anyway, there is no way you can get a good lock on the edge of starts with the auto focus.

3. Felix

Felix New Member

Equipment:
    Cannon EOS Rebel t7i
    Thanks. I guess Liveview won't work for the purpose of seeing stars. Thanks! With respect to focusing, I am using the focuser on the telescope because I don't have a traditional lens connected to the camera. Not using autofocus. The problem is that I can't tell whether the star edges are focused because I can't see the stars on live view! I have to keep taking photos, assessing focus, and then moving the focuser a hair. That is time consuming. Was hoping there might be some other way.

Thanks,

Felix

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Are you trying to focus via live view on any star? Or are you trying to focus on the brightest star that you can find?

You should be able to see star's using live view.

Gary

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    do you have a bahtinov mask for your telescope to manual focus the stars?

6. Felix

Felix New Member

Equipment:
    Cannon EOS Rebel t7i
    I need to get a bahtinov mask. Thanks for that suggestion.

I typically have a field of stars in view. Some of them are bright. But even if a star like Vega is in the view, it doesn't show in LiveView. Planets, however, do show up.

Any thought on how to maintain that Wifi connection?

Thanks!!

Felix