Will the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 Lens Hood accommodate a 77mm to 82mm filter adapter?

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Farsical, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Farsical

Farsical New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 6D
    EF 17-40mm F4L USM
    Panasonic Lumix S1R
    S PRO 16-35mm F4
    S PRO 24-70mm F2.8
    Panasonic Lumix GX9
    G VARIO 12-60mm
    G VARIO 45-200mm
    Many vintage alt lenses: mostly Mamiya M645
    Will the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 Lens Hood accommodate a 77mm to 82mm filter adapter?

The two lenses I use the most take 77mm and 82mm filters. If the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 (77mm) would allow me to use a 77mm to 82mm adapter—and still let me use the lens hood—I'd go that route, and buy the larger filter to share across the two lenses.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I haven't tried a screw on adapter, but the hood is a clip on on the outside so It likely can have enough room to fit. I have a number of 77mm lenses including this one so I have the screw on CPL i rotate usage of. I do have 82mm lenses but those are in my medium format lenses, which 82mm ones do you have? With all the big glass I found it made sense to start investing in a filter system, I went with Lee but there are other options. Depending on how many 82+ mm lenses you have and what you plan to shoot with them that may help with what your plan is.

Keep in mind lenses this wide also help to have the pro/slim filters and there is a good jump in price to the 82mm, which is why i chose the 77 which will be used on several lenses regularly and then the mounting bracket for me lee system when i break out the larger lenses on film and need to use a polarizer. So in short, not sure the gear or its usage exactly; but gave you some of my thoughts when I built out what I have with lenses and those larger filter threads.

Farsical likes this.
  3. Farsical

Farsical New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 6D
    EF 17-40mm F4L USM
    Panasonic Lumix S1R
    S PRO 16-35mm F4
    S PRO 24-70mm F2.8
    Panasonic Lumix GX9
    G VARIO 12-60mm
    G VARIO 45-200mm
    I decided to go through with the 77mm to 82mm adapter. The quick answer is—Yes!—it fits. However, it's tight quarters. At first, I was convinced there was not enough room. But in the end, with patience and two very thin pieces of wood (so as not to scratch the metal), held 180° apart—think tongue depressors—I was able to get it on. I even tested getting it back off, which worked fine.

Of course, it wasn't until after everything was in place, and I was patting myself on the back (never a good idea), that I realized my 77mm lens cap was no longer of any use! I didn't think to order an 82mm lens cap for the larger filter! Doh! Looks like I'm going to be without one of those for a few days.

So, if you go the adapter route, don't be a big dummy (like me). Instead, when you order the larger filter and filter adapter, make sure you order a larger lens cap, too! LOL!

4. Farsical

Farsical New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 6D
    EF 17-40mm F4L USM
    Panasonic Lumix S1R
    S PRO 16-35mm F4
    S PRO 24-70mm F2.8
    Panasonic Lumix GX9
    G VARIO 12-60mm
    G VARIO 45-200mm
    I thought very seriously about the Lee filter system. I'm old school, and the Lee system is very appealing to me. But for this job, I have to be moving very quickly from setup to setup, working in tight quarters. It's not uncommon for me to find myself running up a flight of stairs, or down a hill, holding tightly onto my tripod mounted work camera. (Of course, if this particular job were more leisurely, I'd order linear polarizers and use a handheld light meter—like god intended.) ;)