Youtube

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by GFutures, Apr 16, 2022.

1. GFutures

GFutures New Member

Equipment:
    m50
    Hi,

So I've been using the M50 with the kit lens for the past 12+ months, I've been doing YouTube videos and they have been doing decent for a channel my size ( about 7k subs). Recently I decided it was time to invest in my "studio" a bit more so my setup is changing. Instead of just being a talking head in my videos I decided I want to do more of a sitting at a desk type of talking video. The issue I am running into now, is when I get everything setup you cannot see anything under the mid chest and down including the desk. The camera is about 32" from my face.

I need to be able to see about 12-15 more inches down, would a 22mm lens be what I'm looking for?
    I shoot in low light and my settings for the 15-45mm are : 1/60,F3.5 and iso 320 with my K at 3200. The picture is exactly how I want it to look minus not being able to see everything I can.

My "studio" is a smaller room and my goal is to keep everything attached to my second desk, because the issues I run into now are when I set everything up its not exactly the same as it was before ( a bit OCD ) so attaching lights,camera,boom arm to a desk that I can push out of the way when I dont need it and then bring it back to the exact spot on the floor when im ready.

Any suggestions? I've looked at the "nifty 50" everyone talks about but I honestly don't want to just buy something random.

Thanks!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    What mm are you using the 15-45mm at right now? If you need to see more around you in the frame, you need to zoom out, so you need to get closer to 15mm than 45mm. And the nifty 50 is a great budget lens for what you get, but that is an EF lens which would look like 75mm on a crop body and would also need an ef-m adapter to use it.
    The thing you really to figure out is where the zoom is at and if you can zoom out further. You do not need the 22mm lens just for the MM on its own, the 15mm -45mm covers that range. What the 22mm does at that fixed length is give you an F2 which would be better if you needed a faster shutter speed or lower ISO (you can only go as wide as f3.5 right now with your zoom lens) . The fact that you mention using 3.5 tells me your zoomed out, I just do not know how wide. If you get any mm smaller than 15 your entering a fisheye lens and you probably do not want that look. You may have to move the camera back a bit if 15mm is still cutting to close on you in the foreground.

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, "GFutures, may I suggest you go along to a camera store with your camera and have a look at what they have on offer. Put the lenses on your camera and see how they perform on it. This will allow you to see what the images look like zoomed in to it minimal distance, have a look at how wide and what is contained at the edges of the shot and fully zoomed out to it farther distance.
    It is easy to listen to what other people have to say bit it is you who knows what you really want. Go check it out for yourself.

4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    as mentioned we need to know what MM you are shooting at with the 15-45mm,
    canon makes a 11-22mm efm lens if you do want wider,