1Ds mkii Firmware (ver 1.1.6)

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Phillip Ford, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Phillip Ford

Phillip Ford New Member

Equipment:
    5Dmkiv, M50, 70d, IDS mkii
    Hi, thanks for letting me join the forum.

I have recently come by a 1ds mkii a near perfect 1DS mkii but with version 1.1.1 firmware installed. Having always wanted to add one of these beasts to my collection I was overjoyed, other than .... it will only take up to 2gb memory cards. Google research (it must be right!) says that only version 1.1.6 firmware allows the use of greater than 2gb cf and sd cards in the beast. I have been trying to find 1.1.6 firmware everywhere on the web without much success, Canon removed it from their support pages years ago apparently. I have found one (bin) file which was at http://www.opendrivers.com/download/driver-36420.html along with a pdf of the camera manual. Other than the manual this was not very helpful, mainly as the exe file produces a bin file and I have no idea what to do with the 6+mb bin file ostensibly holding the 3.3mb ver 1.1.6 firmware.

I guess what I am asking is does anyone have a copy of the 1.1.6 firmware for the 1DS mkii, or know where I can find a reliable source, preferably in a format that is easy to work with. Alternatively, any ideas as to what to do to unlock the bin file would also be appreciated.

My thanks and admiration if came along with me to this point, any help in this quest would be very gratefully received.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Most sites linked back to canon which took these really old files offline. I would not trust a random download if you even found it. I would use the email canon support link and ask them for updated firmware files.

3. Phillip Ford

Phillip Ford New Member

Equipment:
    Was thinking the same, it would be a shame to mess it up with someones dodgy hackware! Will try and find the link you refer to.

Thanks, Phill

4. Phillip Ford

Phillip Ford New Member

Equipment:
    Hi, I now know how to use the bin file, just need to find a safe/reliable copy of the firmware file.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  5. CLORD

CLORD New Member

Equipment:
    Canon C300 M3, Canon CN-E Cinema Zoom, 1Ds M2, 50mm 1.2
    The thread is a bit dated but I thought it relevant to comment since there are still quite a few 1Ds cameras available on the used market and some people may want to take advantage of the latest/last firmware update provided for this camera (if not already installed). There is not a lot of information in regard to this on the webs.

I purchased a 1Ds M2 a couple of weeks ago in really nice condition. The firmware was 1.1.3 and I had no idea at the time Canon had removed all firmware updates for this camera at the time of purchase. I emailed Canon and asked if they could send the last firmware update to me (1.1.6), they would not. The only option was to send the camera in for basic servicing (approx. $70 CAD) and they would update the firmware in-house. This appears to be the only way to update to the latest firmware, Canon has the file but is not releasing it publically. I have sent the camera off and still waiting for its return.

Canon no longer supports this camera model with parts or firmware via the Canon website. I cannot find any Canon notes on the firmware release and all the improvements/fixes it offers and can only hope I will be able to plug a 32GB CF card in and format it... fingers crossed. I figured for my needs the cost of updating was worth the cost, and I will get a sensor cleaning to boot.

6. Joey Williams

Joey Williams Member

Equipment:
    Sony Alpha 77
    Finding firmware for older camera models can sometimes be a challenge, as manufacturers often remove them from their official support pages after a certain period of time. However, there are a few things you can try to find the firmware you need:

1. Contact Canon customer support: Although Canon may not provide the firmware on their website, they may still be able to provide it to you if you contact their customer support directly. You can try calling or emailing them to see if they can help you obtain the firmware.

2. Check camera forums: There are many photography forums online where users discuss various topics related to cameras, including firmware updates. You can try searching for forums that specifically discuss the Canon 1DS mkii and see if anyone has shared the firmware there.

3. Use a firmware archive website: There are some websites that archive older firmware versions for cameras and other devices. However, it's important to be cautious when downloading firmware from these sites, as some may be outdated or contain viruses. One site you can try is the Firmware HQ (https://www.firmwarehq.com/Canon/EOS-1Ds-Mark-II/list), which has a list of firmware updates for the 1DS mkii.
    Once you have obtained the firmware file, you will need to follow the instructions provided by Canon to install it onto your camera. This typically involves transferring the firmware file onto a memory card and then inserting the card into the camera to initiate the update process. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully and fully charge your camera's battery before starting the update process.