5D Michael Ii

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by MikeDW, Nov 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MikeDW

MikeDW New Member

Equipment:
    Canon FD, EOS, EF various
    Hello,

I am getting back into photography after many years of being out of it. Used over the years Canon TLB, AE, AE1 program, A1, EOS 620, EOS 10S. I think that’s it. But not for 10 years have I used any of my gear. Only IPhone photography. I really miss the photo trips I would take just for the picture.

I ran across a 5D Series II body in good shape for a good price. The original owner moved up to newer canon models.

Since I already have lenses that will work on it, seems like a great time to jump back in and into digital.

There is tremendous praise for this model on the internet so I am pretty convinced this to be a good buy.

But, are there any things that may not work well, things you may have run across in your daily use that would not be obvious to a photographer who has only used film in the past, things to be careful of?

I have downloaded the manual off of website and went through it last night. Wow.

I just found this website. What a great place.

Thanks,
    MikeDW

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    HI Mike, welcome to the forum! If you found the Mk2 for a great price/with low mileage, I would not worry about the purchase, many pros have used these for years as a work horse. They are great cameras, I can't think of anything from those used to film that you would worry about in day to day use. This camera is built rugged, and gives you more control over settings than your old cameras. I've had mine for close to a decade and have not needed to upgraded yet.

3. porkphoto

porkphoto Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Cameras 1DmkIII, 1DSmkII, 50d, 7d, 6d, 70d, 5Ds ,90D , R7, R5
    Lens 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4L IS, 100 f2.8L IS macro, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L IS, 300 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 500mm f4L IS
    Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new toy and don't worry about things you have no control over...use it and enjoy, enjoy
    lol.

4. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Hi Mike, Welcome to the forum. I would be more than happy if I could find a 5D II in good shape for a good price (but I have enough cameras as it is). You have a great camera that should serve you well for many years. The 5D series was aimed at professionals and built to handle hard work. You are making a great start to your introduction to digital photography.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hi Mike,

Hello, I am not the one to ask about the 5D II, but I am sure that you will find it fun to use. Also, welcome to the forum.

Gary

6. MikeDW

MikeDW New Member

Equipment:
    Canon FD, EOS, EF various
    All,

With a little trepidation I am entering into a new type of photography (digital). I look forward to what I will learn anew. Thanks for the warm welcome. I am ready to let the fun begin or should I say continue.

Mike