5D MkII

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Hoosier Hotshot, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Hoosier Hotshot

Hoosier Hotshot New Member

Equipment:
    Canon t7i | 85 mm prime | 50 mm prime | 18-55 zoom | 55-250 zoom
    I'm new to the forum. I looked at earlier threads before putting this question, so I hope it is OK and relevant here.

I have a t7i that I like in most respects. It's easy to use and makes pretty good images. I can take quite satisfactory pictures of landscapes and children using a wide depth of field. But I cannot get sharp images with small depth of field out of it. Closeups of faces and flowers are unsatisfactory. (They're good, but not good enough.)

I have used a lens calibration tool and confirmed that the autofocus focuses 5-6 mm beyond the eye or other focus point for all my prime lenses.

I am wondering if perhaps a 5d Mk II would solve this deficiency. I envision using it only with the 50mm and 85mm prime lenses, and using the t7i with my kit zoom lens. The 5D has AF micro-adjustment (true?) so I could really dial it in to exact calibration with my prime lenses. Plus the 5D is full frame, so it would allow the primes to work as they are designed to.

I can afford a 5D Mk II, but I don't want to just throw money at something I could solve otherwise. And I really can't justify getting any next generation full-frame camera for what I do. I've had the t7i for two+ years, so it's past warranty. I've talked with repair shops and they say a t7i can't be mircroadjusted even at a repair shop. I don't mean to sound like my t7i is defective. I think its a great camera -- but that my standards are a bit higher than it can satisfy.

Would it make sense to get a 5D and use it chiefly when I want very crisp images of still subjects with bokeh? If yes, what do I need to know to choose a good one on eBay or from KEH?

Thanks for your advice!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Yes you can micro calibrate with the 5d line, which should resolve your issue. I am surprised you have issues with multiple lenses, I have never had to calibrate any of my lenses, but I haven't had a crop camera since my 20 which hasn't seen mileage in a decade so take that for what it is worth. The 5dII is a great camera so while the sensor is a few generations older you should still feel like you upgraded from the t7i in my opinion. Suggestions for buying.. nothing big here other than with used cameras I pretty much have always stuck to looking for ones that look well cared for and have lower mileage on them; parts do wear out over time. KEH does give them a look over, but you can also get an idea from eBay on how well they cared for it as well. Its always a bit of a risk no matter what buying used.

3. Hoosier Hotshot

Hoosier Hotshot New Member

Equipment:
    Canon t7i | 85 mm prime | 50 mm prime | 18-55 zoom | 55-250 zoom
    Thanks for the clear explanation.
    I look forward to lurking and and learning on this site.