70D, 77D, 80D

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by beachgardener, May 3, 2017.

1. beachgardener

beachgardener New Member Site Supporter

With more models being produced, and me being predominately with Pentax these days, I find it confusing to know where these three models fit, 70D, 77D and 80D, there seems to be minor differences, I understand that the 80D is the upgrade from the 70D, if someone can help me understand how these models fit together and what the differences are, much appreciated, why so many similar?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The most obvious reason is so that they can release new bodies every year into the market even if the "upgrades" are minor. At first glance the main difference is they use 3 different digic processors 5,6,and 7 so you probably would get a bit of a bump in noise performance.

3. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    As stated above there are differences in the processors. The 80D is the upgrade from the 70D as you have worked out.
    Nobody quite understands where the 77D fits into the series especially as in some countries it is sold under a different model number that puts it into a lower range than the 70D.
    Although the 77D has some more advanced features than the 70D it would appear that the 77D has a cheaper penta-mirror viewfinder which gives a dimmer image through the viewfinder and less robust build quality which could result in a shorter life if heavily used, although this would probably not be of any concern to a casual user.

4. Vasile Guta-Ciucur

Vasile Guta-Ciucur Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 100D
    Canon Lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 III
    77D is the Canons biggest confusion. Maybe it can be attributed to some new guys in the market department, or a completely new development team representing some new currents in the photography world of Japan.

Or the tainted undermodels of the Zeros - The Lords of the APS-C dominion. These "Tainted Undermodels" are aspiring to get to the top world of the APS-C Dominion, dominated by the Zeros, but they are not fully developed yet.

Somehow, I see this like an Anime culture (or some Canon designers supersaturated with Anime) - a classification similar to the ranks between Arrankars from the Hueco Mundo - see Bleach anime serie.
    [​IMG]

5. beachgardener

Thank you all for your insight, much appreciated :)

6. pcake

pcake Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    the 77D is the new model of the T6s, which is a rebel. i guess canon didn't want the rebel name on a camera with 2 control dials and a top screen. btw, i don't find the T6s VF to be particularly dimmer than the 80D's VR so much as smaller.

7. beachgardener

I wonder if the next rebel will be the 88D instead of the 850D name?

8. Vasile Guta-Ciucur

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 100D
    We don't know but everything may happen... I mean, in Japan they Kiss Rebel goodbye at every model. :confused:

9. pcake

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    the follow-up to the rebel T6s is the 77D, but it's not in the rebel lineup. the new T7i is the 800D, so my guess would be that the T8i will be the 850D. no way to know but to wait and see.

10. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The 77D is between the 70D and 80D, which is in Canon's mid range line.
    The Rebels or the entry level line use the extra digit or the T; such as 750D, 800D or T7i.

11. Khukri

Khukri New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax 67II, Pentax 645, Noblex 135U, Canon T90, Canon 5DII, Sony A7II, lot of Pentax Canon FD & EF lenses.
    Main differences that may matter to some are:
    1. Better viewfinder in the 80D (100%) than 77D (95%).
    2. Vertical shooting grip available for the 80D, not the 77D - as of now.
    3. Weather sealing in the 80D, not the 77D.

12. pcake

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    not really. the 80D replaced the 70D - the 77D was announced this year, while the 80D came out last year and the 70D was announced in 2013. both the 70D and 80D are a significantly larger size than the 77D, have a higher magnification viewfinder and have higher specs - including weather sealing, which the 77D doesn't have and longer battery life; the 77D has a pentamirror where the 80D and 70D have pentaprisms.

13. beachgardener

now we are getting down to the nitty gritties :)
    thank you all.

14. Ray-UK

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    Not entirely true, firstly try to forget this "Rebel" label, it is only used in the American market and doesn't apply elswhere.
    In the ranges we are discussing there were two distinct evolutionary lines of cameras, those with three digits and those with two, eg 800D and 70D.
    Again the American market for some reason renamed the 800D to T7i.

The 77D appears to bridge those two lines coming between the 800D and the 80D, this puts it slightly above the 70D in some respects but not others, but more importantly below the 80D. Whether this means that Canon have now merged these two product lines we will have to wait and see.
    Strangely the 77D is sold in Japan as the 9000D !

Canon have done odd things like this before when they replaced the 40D with the 50D, they realised that they put too many features into the 50D and placed it too close to the higher single digit models so they dropped a lot of its features when they produced the 60D. It would appear that with the rapid advance of techonology they are struggling to maintain the differential between their original product lines.

15. pcake

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    the 9000D? weird one! i thought canon might potentially be adding another line, so at least in the U.S. it would go

rebel (the entry level T6 and advanced entry level T7i)
    new intermediate line starting with 77D
    larger camera (currently 80D)
    premium APSC camera (7 D mark ll)

i don't think of the 77D as being above the 70D as that's a discontinued camera, isn't it? newer less advanced cameras often inherit the more advanced features of a previous generation. but hey, i could be wrong!

johnsey likes this.
  16. johnsey

Equipment:
    Right, The main point I wanted to make is that it really isn't a rebel. The top LCD and extra features make it closer to the mid range line in my opinion. I think we all agree it really isn't part of either lineup, but given they named it the 77D even Canon must trying to decide how they want to number it/market it since it.

The 77d and T6s both were released along side with the rebels and bridged the gap for those that wanted to spend more money on features found in the mid range line, if they are selling well I suspect the hybrid line will continue for a while. I don't see either of the primary camera lines changing any time soon, they have firm niches in the market.

17. Vasile Guta-Ciucur

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 100D
    I prefer your classification.

pcake likes this.
  18. pcake

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    despite the top screen and handy second dial, the T6s is a rebel by name here - it's the EOS Rebel T6s according to canon
    https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...r/eos-rebel-t6s-ef-s-18-135mm-is-stm-lens-kit
    and the 77D is almost the same camera.

thanks. i guess in other countries it's different, but in the u.s. canon gives the rebel badge to more entry level cameras - even when they aren't. i think canon should either stop having camera lines or stop spreading them wider and thinner, but i doubt they'll listen to my opinion :D

19. Ray-UK

Equipment:
    Again by using the word "Rebel" you are combining what in the rest of the world is two distinctly different lines eg 1300D (T6) and 800D (T7i)
    (Even more confusing is the 100D being renamed in the USA to SL1)

Why start a new intermediate line with 77, when another 2 models later and you run into 80 which has already been used.

Yes the 70D is discontinued, I just meant that the 77D has more features than that model.

I'm not sure that any of us will really work out Canon's numbering system, perhaps it is some strange sort of Japanese logic :(

pcake likes this.
  20. Gerry Dawes

Gerry Dawes Gerry Dawes's Spain: An Insider's Guide Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark III, 77d, plus Canon M5, M3 & M10 ; many lenses
    Canon uses a maddening logic for everything. I have been a Canon slave forever, but I really hate all these different model numbers, which require a lot of research. The differences between many of these models are not great, but the minor differences could be a deal breaker for some people. For instance, I wouldn't even think about the M6, since it has no viewfinder, which is why I bought the M5 and use my M3 with the cumbersome add-on viewfinder (very expensive if you did not get it on the deal they had with the M3) as a backup. Likewise, because of a lighter body, I go the 77d, after a lot of research, as a backup to my 5D Mark III and sold the 6D & 7D bodies. So far, I am happy with the M5 and 77d (with EF 10-18mm & 18-135mm lenses). I, like many others, am very unhappy with Canon's greedy and idiotic omission of lens hoods with sometime quite expensive lenses, different batteries for similar cameras and different battery chargers, hard to believe, different computer connection cables. Not quite as bad as the monumentally stupid Olympus battery charger with a long cord that I carried back and forth to Europe for several trips until I decided to end my Olympus experiment with their very fragile camera bodies.