77D and 10-18stm Video Focus issues

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Fishcamp, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Fishcamp

Fishcamp New Member

I got a new 10-18 is stm for my 77D. I use it mainly for video. For closeup scenes when I am 10ft or less from the lens, it looks super clear. When I back away so i can get a wide shot of my entire body and even above, nothing seems to be sharp. All videos are soft. No filters, shooting mostly manual, tripod, iso100 24fps shuttter 50. Have tried face tracking, and center weighted but the whole scene is soft. Today I took the lens and did a test with a 7D and picture looked the same. I tried both cameras with my 10-18 and the much more expensive 10-22mm and video looks the same. Makes me think it is not the lens since both looked the same. Close is great, wide shots horrible. I then tested the same scene with my buddys go pro with no setting or focus just turn on and go. Looks perfect. i find it hard to believe a tiny go pro takes so much better video that 2 more expensive dslr's. Sort youtube of my 10-18 and then the go pro. I have spent tons of time looking at settings and focus points, even showed it to Canon tech support who agress it is soft but has no explanation. I would almost except I am not going to get clear video at that distance but i have seen footage on youtube with this lens that looks fine. Any ideas why the wide footage is so soft?

2. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    Did you post this thread at exactly 10:18 on purpose or was it just a random lucky event?

G.