A1000is USB connection fails with Win10 -- earlier cameras don't.

Discussion in 'Canon PowerShot Series' started by Ron Legro, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Ron Legro

Ron Legro New Member

Equipment:
    A530 A590is A1000is
    I drove myself nuts trying to figure this out today, wasting way too much time tinkering. Bottom line: to get my photos off a newly acquired Powershot A1000is, I had to play sneakernet, taking out the SD card and plugging it into the PC. None of the helpful tips on the formal help pages or other forums got me out of this fix. The odd thing is that I have two earlier Powershots -- an A530 and an A590is -- and using the same exact hookup they do get recognized by Windows. There was no special driver or software involved in any of these transactions. Any ideas?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    While I don't have the specifics here, the thing is that windows did use a driver of some sort to create a connection to the camera. Windows comes with many built in drivers for all sorts of devices and brands. All these cameras came from the 2005-2008 timeline so its a lil odd that the built in windows drivers only worked for 2 of 3 cameras.

Also ... Keep in mind these cameras came with install disks download software and drivers to talk to the camera and copy the files back then(canon solution disk ver.XX). They may have had different drivers for each camera. Either way getting XP drivers to play nice on Windows 10 is a coin flip.