Advice needed: 6D to EOS R?

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by masonkhan, Nov 14, 2018.

1. masonkhan

masonkhan Member

Background: Bought a 6D 4 years ago for $800 off a camera dealer going out of business. Been my workhorse and hobby camera. Love it to bits and it's has a lot of sentimental value. No real issues with the camera, I just treated it to a camera checkup for the first time and got very minor things cleaned up from Canon

Reasons to switch: Mirrorless has its benefits and looking to be the future of cameras. Tilt/touch screen, a welcomed upgrade that makes taking photos easy in so cases. EVF has its benefits tho I prefer OVF. Very EF compatible. Canon color science, fended off my urges to jump to Sony solely on this fact, lens lineup and ease of use were also critical to why I stayed. Battery compatibility with Lp-E6. More AF points thank God.
    Kodi TutuApp AppValley

Why I'm hesitant: 1 cardslot, come on Canon, not a pro camera sure but it's 2018, we need two. No 4k without crop, don't shoot video much but nice to have; not a huge issue. RF lens are good but getting way out of hand size wise. Buying an adapter and scepticism buying into a first gen product. Lack of FPS and eye af (minor problem)

TLDR: Looking to upgrade from a 6D to an EOS-R. Is it time finally time to move considering the new mirrorless platform. Not a huge jump specs wise, but it will be familiar. Problem with jump is timing; wait longer for better camera to come along that has everything I could hopefully want or settle for a camera that is just a newer similar brother to my 6D.

Added note, I'm all for just sticking to my 6D. A camera is a tool and my camera gets the job done. Just need help deciding if this is a right move that will future proof me for years to come or is it just G.A.S.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018