Advise needed please

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by DaveB, Aug 6, 2019.

1. DaveB

DaveB New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 1d mark iii, Canon 400mm prime.
    Hi all, I have recently changed my dslr camera from Nikon too Canon. As I do alot of wildlife photography but I'm having a few issues with the new set up and any advise would be great help.
    I'm now using a Canon 1d mark iii with a 400mm prime lens. Recently I have been using settings Av, and f7.1, iso 400 obviously changing iso depending on light. But my images I'm finding Are not very sharp. Is there any internal setting I need too change too help with sharper images. I have not messaged around too much with the settings in tools icon as I'm not sure what too do yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I will go ahead and start with the assumption the lens and camera are operating perfectly. I am curious what lens you have as i believe there are a few prime lens options at 400mm. If you have IS it could be the use of that setting. If not lets answer the question of how fast your shutter is, as the is probably more important than the aperture or ISO. Your lens is big and long and will need a fast shutter and or a tripod to take any camera shake issues out of the equation. Sure Image stabilization will help if you have it but only at select range of slow shutter speeds you may or may not find helpful with moving wildlife. Secondly if your not shooting in a situation handheld where the IS will counteract hand held shake, then turn it off it can introduce shake to a tripod still shot.
    And if shooting raw, the unprocessed image will not be razor sharp, it should allow for the processing to season sharpening to taste. I assume this is not the issue but worth mentioning. If you shoot JPG I would see what your sharpening is set to in camera.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    What sort of shutter speed are you using? Plus, any chance of posting a couple of images?

Gary

4. Robert Shears

Robert Shears Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-5, K-r, K20D, K100D Super.
    Canon G5, Canon 450D, Eos 100, 500, 600, T70 and T90
    Konica Minolta 7D
    Various OEM and 3rd party lenses in Pentax, Minolta and Canon.
    As johnsey recommended, use a tripod (or set it on a stable surface) and using the shutter delay, take some images while the shutter speed is not critical, through some different aperture settings and examine your results. If your 400mm lens has IS, turn it off.