April Monthly Photo Challenge - Still Life

Discussion in 'Official Photo Contests and Events' started by johnsey, Apr 6, 2020.

1. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Sorry for the late start on this, work got away from me last week.

To work with everyone who is staying in on lock down for April lets go with the topic Still Life.

Again, the rules are simple:
    • Should be be using some canon gear , this is a canon forum after all.
    • Shot with the assignment in mind, go out and shoot something new don't dig up something from the archives.
    • and most importantly have fun.

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    define still life please

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Definition: A still life (plural: still lifes) is a work of art depicting mostly inanimate subject matter, typically commonplace objects which are either natural (food, flowers, dead animals, plants, rocks, shells, etc.) or man-made (drinking glasses, books, vases, jewelry, coins, pipes, etc.).

This allows you to shoot subject matter around the house, and be creative with composition and/or lighting.

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Johnsey, hopefully this shot will get the ball rolling and more shots will be put up.
    I tried for five or six days to get something that works.
    It is not easy, so I settled on a shot of my new toy.
    It is a Toyoview 4*5 view camera with a 90mm F4.5 lens which breaks down and fits into the case you see it sitting on. The lens board that come with the lens was too small for the camera so if you look at it you can see the aluminum intermediate board I made to fit it to the camera.

My New Toy.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Now that has to be fun to play with. I have an idea or two about this months challenge, and I am aiming to have a go at it tomorrow.

Gary

6. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I would not know as I have not taken a photo with it yet.
    I purchased it cheap as it had a damaged rear part and a missing gear that raises the lens, my plan was to fix the damaged part and make a new gear and then I was struck down with a bout of laziness when I saw a spare part with the missing gear so I purchased that and it now works great but with the lock down I don't wish to waste the film on any old thing it's expensive so I shall wait for this lock-down is over. I already have a heap of places I plan to go.

7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Still life, what does it mean to me. Well I think of the paintings of fruit from the past masters of painting.

But as we are generally in some form of lockdown, I thought that I would do a lighthearted approach to this months challenge. I was going to do this over the Easter holiday, but I got tied up with other things. But my background is toilet paper, just to make our Australian and UK members a little envious, a bottle of booze, unopened as well because that sort of thing you see in still life images. Two bunny rabbits, I am not sure bringing in two real dead rabbits into the house would have been such a good idea. A scattering of eggs to show that we haven't eaten them all as yet. Lastly, some fruit out of the garden. Well, the green one is from the supermarket, the red one that is just past it's best was found under our apple tree, and the strawberry is one of our last ones of this season.

This is my first ever still life image. Taken in our dinning room using natural light through the window. The base is a mirror found around the house. Canon RP, 70-200 f4, tripod mounted and a remote shutter used to trigger the camera.

IMG_0560.jpg

Gary

Abhiram Marwah and rayallen like this.
  8. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    I see this monthly comp as a means to stimulate the brain and get you taking some shots.
    This is the first time I have tried and have little to no knowledge of what make a good still life.
    It is not as easy as it looks, I took nearly a week to set up and take a photo, 90 percent of them I disliked, Your shot pretty good and it did not take as long and you seemed to have covered all the bases.
    I don't know if it is good or bad but I liked it.

9. José Mª.

José Mª. Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    CanonEOS 350D, Canon EOS 2000D; lens 15-85 and Zeiss macro planar 90mm
    [ATTACH = full] 8646 [/ ATTACH] Perdóname por mi falta de inglés, te escribo gracias al traductor de Google.

En estos días, sin poder salir de casa, recuerdo cuando viajaba, desde que me retiré es mi pasatiempo favorito. Hace unos días hice un bote de papel y lo puse en una bandeja para hornear con agua para identificarlo. La luz proveniente de una ventana lateral translúcida y la iluminación de la cocina era fluorescente en el techo y el efecto no era tan vívido como pensaba. La escena se completa con dos placas de colores y un abridor de botellas para simular un embarcadero. Disparé a 800 ISO, suficiente para la cámara porque se distingue el ruido

10. Paul F

Paul F Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Lego assasin.
    Genuinely spotted in my grandson's bedroom while cleaning up. (He's not been 'round since lockdown :() He's too young and innocent to have done anything other than line them up randomly. My only contribution was to make Batman look at the Ninja, and lighten the photo very slightly afterwards.
    batninj.jpg
    1/80 at f2.8 and 100 ISO, lit from the window. :)

GDN and rayallen like this.
  11. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

It is time that I had a go at this "Still Life" stuff. This sort of creativity does not come easily to me. This is my first attempt and hopefully there will be something better to come. Canon EOS 20D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II IS STM and Manfrotto monopod.

_MG_3566.jpg

12. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    It looks good Ray, it took me nearly a week and about 6 attempts before I settled on something

13. rayallen

I like the subject matter that you have chosen, Craig. Lots of interest there. The lighting is fantastic too. We will all be waiting to hear more about this great camera and how you fare with getting images from it.

14. rayallen

You have certainly included lots of different items here, Gary. but that's what it is all about. The use of the mirror works well. I love your toilet roll backdrop. That brought a smile to my face.

GDN likes this.
  15. rayallen

That is a great find for this theme, Paul. You have an eye for detail. It is nice and colourful and your use of selective focus works extremely well.

Paul F likes this.
  16. rayallen

Thank you, Craig.

17. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Thanks, Ray.
    I am happy you like it, I usually have trouble with all black subjects so I wrapped the scene in a white backdrop sheet to reflect the light.
    The lighting source was the flash that comes with the 60D,
    I must also own up too, I used the camera in auto.
    I can not wait to use it but that will have to wait awhile till I can get my darkroom built, waiting for this virus lock-down to end so I can get more secondhand material and then work out how the hell I can get a digitized copy of the shot.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    rayallen likes this.
  18. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Any chance of posting your image?

Gary

19. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I wouldn't have said anything if you had been playing with Lego.

Well spotted Paul, and a nice image.

Gary

20. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

I don't think that you can complain about this Ray. It's not the easiest of subject matters.

Gary