Begginer using canon 650 D

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Jessie, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    John is correct in what he says, I learned a lot from Youtube and sit down when you watch it with your camera in your hand.
    This will help you follow along and learn as you go along, all the best with it.

2. Jessie

Jessie New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 650D
    Thank you for that John
    It also has a canon EFS zoom lense with it 18-135 mm with image stabilizer which I find very good
    Do. You know if there is an APP for a phone I can download for canon I have a Huawei p20 pro

3. Jessie

Jessie New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 650D
    Thank you I have been watching some

4. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

There are wifi SD cards which enable that, I have not tried them myself though.

5. Jessie

Jessie New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 650D
    Thank you Didn't know such things existed

6. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

IF you go that route, I have been told to look for one that has Internet Pass Through to enable your phone to stay connected to the Internet. Also, if you choose to try Magic Lantern ( some will curse me for mentioning this ) the card will not work with it. I wonder if the speed of downloading might be worth using a card reader or connecting the camera via USB might still be a better choice.

7. Jessie

Jessie New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 650D
    Ok thanks for the information will look into that
    I don't have the usb cable or the disc but trying to find one

8. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

A good cable would cost much less than a decent wifi card. Win 10 recognizes the camera but if you want the software, Go to the Canon web site and click on support/650D/downloads and then download the Eos software

9. Jessie

Jessie New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 650D
    Ok thank you

10. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    From what I have heard wifi can be finicky and slow to download images. The USB cord you are missing is a standard USB-A to Mini-B cord that has been used by many devices for over twenty years, so you can order one for like $7. You most likely have this cord if you have any other computer connectable devices around the house that are a decade old.

Computer downloads via cable I find to annoyingly slow, my assumption is that it moves around USB2.0 speed. Really most people use a card reader, a SD reader is included in most computers now days and you can get a small usb stick that takes all sorts of SD cards for $10 which will copy files 10x faster than the cable, its so popular that 9/10 people probably do it and even has been added in the instruction manual as an option now. Just get a card reader, its really your best bet for a quick and easy way to copy your files.

11. Jessie

Jessie New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 650D
    Yes I will take than in board if it going to be easier
    Thanks

12. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Also do not bother with the disk that is missing, you get a few programs all of which are posted on the site as download. The eos utility is the only mildly usable one in my opinion, but you can download images and upgrade firmware using a card reader so even the utility is not needed. The other ones are canon image editor/file handling programs and a waste of space on your computer if you use photoshop/bridge or lightroom. They also have much newer copies of the programs on the site anyway so you would not want to use the disk anyway, go ahead and download DPP and your other options and see if you want to use any of them.

13. Jessie

Jessie New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 650D
    Ok many many thanks

14. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

As said by others there are many good software options available, some are even free. GIMP has a learning curve but is really good and if you are a beginner ( I do not know so no insult intended ) PAINT.NET is free and very easy to use, you would need to add a plugin for RAW files but again free and easy to use. Most importantly, have fun.

15. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter