breakdown/molecular dehesion of rubber making a sticky mess

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Clayton, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Clayton

Clayton New Member

I have been a Canon shooter for over 3 decades and this is the first time I've experienced this... hoping to get some pointer here. (this is my first post btw, so hello!)

I currently shoot with a 1Dx primary and 1Ds MII backup and have about 10 lenses in my kit spanning the focal ranges from macro to fisheye/ultrawide through 600mm prime for various use cases along with various diopters, extensions, and teleconverters. Most everything I own is Canon branded, but I do have a few one-off outliers I've picked up along the way.

Of all the "schtuff" I use to enjoy this hobby, I have a single lens - an original issue 85mm f/1.2L that I purchased new and have been the only owner - where the rubber coating on the outside of the lens housing has started to breakdown/decompose and become extremely sticky/gooey and gets black goop on your hands and whatever it touches. It has been stored in the same climate controlled environment as everything else over the years when not in use, but is unique in this issue. Anyone else run into this? Is there way to salvage the lens? Does Canon offer a refurb service where they can rewrap or repair it or would that just be cost prohibitive? There is nothing wrong with the lens functionally other than having to work with a tar pit when using it. I'd appreciate any thoughts/ideas or experience shares here... Thanks so much!

/clayton

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome Clayton, a common problem with cameras and lenses, us a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol, another product is armorall, used to clean the dash on a car or mentholated spirits. These products have 70 to 90 percent alcohol in them. Next have a look on You Tube as there are many how to repair this issue videos.

3. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Thank you, Craig. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction!

/c