Camera Connect app and EOS Utility issues

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Lana, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Lana

Lana New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS RP
    RF 24-105 f4.5 L USM
    I am experiencing multiple problems with both the Canon Camera Connect iPhone app as well as the EOS Utility app on my Macbook

Firstly; the connection between my camera and my Camera Connect app is very intermittent. More often than not my camera would disconnect either while I'm busy selecting pictures to download or while busy downloading. This is very frustrating as I would have to re-connect the camera and start selecting all over again.

Then the EOS Utility on my Macbook does not recognise pictures I have already downloaded, even though the setting is set to "only download images not yet downloaded". I then have to manually select all the pictures I want to download, and even then it downloads at a snail's pace. I blamed my poor wifi signal initially but realised it should function independently of my wifi signal.

I have checked that both my camera and the apps are up to date.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i have macbook pro early 2015 and still running el capitan (if it aint broke dont fix it) camera M50, i've had no similar or any problems with the canon apps, i don't use my phone with the app, i did have it on there but its not a thing i do, its an android any way

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    It may be worth a visit to the canon website and the help threads there in case there are some similar issues from other RP users, the canon eos utility bases the recent downloads off the settings dialed into it, so if you are moving things around afterwards it will not know what is downloaded. You are also correct on the wifi, if it works like my DSLR the wifi connection is the camera becoming its own hotspot, so your computer wifi will connect to the camera as a hotspot. You won't have any other wifi for the computer until you drop the camera connection, there may be a power struggle the computer is having between if it should connect to the camera or your router. Personally I have always used card readers and managed files through folders and Lightroom catalogs. I have not used the app, maybe someone else can add their two cents.