Can I shoot in AV mode for video, with 80d

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by DrPaul, May 31, 2023.

1. DrPaul

DrPaul New Member

Equipment:
    80d,
    Macro EF 100mm 2.8 with Image stabilizer
    Ring flashMR 14EXII

sony nex 5
    Ok, I am having a blast with AV mode for photos, and want to do the same for video

Ideally, set Aperture, and iso, and have the camera select the correct shutter speed

I can do this with photos, but not video

The closest I can get with video is to set the aperture, then auto iso, then set shutter speed by itself. This is ok, but not really what I want

And please no, "just shoot on manual" as I really only want to deal with 1, or 2 parts of the exposure triangle

2. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
  3. Joey Williams

Joey Williams Member

Equipment:
    Sony Alpha 77
    Yes, you can shoot in AV mode for video with the Canon 80D.

To do this, simply turn the mode dial to AV and then set the aperture and ISO. The camera will automatically set the shutter speed for you. This is a great way to control the depth of field (aperture) and the ISO sensitivity (noise) while letting the camera worry about the shutter speed.

However, there is one caveat: the Canon 80D does not allow you to set the aperture and ISO independently in AV mode for video. This means that if you change the aperture, the ISO will also change, and vice versa. This can be a bit frustrating, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Ultimately, the best way to shoot video with the Canon 80D depends on your individual needs and preferences. If you want to have complete control over the exposure triangle, then manual mode is the way to go. However, if you're happy to let the camera take care of some of the settings for you, then AV mode is a great option.