Canon 24-70 L issues/questions

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by gleek3r, Feb 9, 2023.

1. gleek3r

gleek3r New Member

Hi.

I recently purchased a used Canon 24-70 2.8 L used lens. Cosmetically it looks fantastic. I have never had an L lens before and I've heard wonderful things about them, but my first images with this lens have been underwhelming. I am just wondering if it's just me or if there's something wrong with this lens and I should return it?

It looks to me like whenever I shoot with the light source in the photos that its just blown out way too much. Looking through things it seems like this might be haze? I shined a light through the lens and I can see what looks like specs of dust but I don't know if it's anything crazy. I can upload those if it helps.

I would appreciate any and all input... Thank you very much.

Here is the link to some sample images.

https://www.canonforums.com/media/albums/sample-images.357/

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    It does look washed out but shooting into the sun is not helping you at all....For those you would have to under expose to not wash out anyway.

1. How long do you have to return it just out of curiosity?

2. My first question is are you sure there is not exposure compensation dialed in on the camera causing the over exposure ...it seems rather consistent..... but that could be a misleading I see the images are wide open at 2.8 so if the camera is wanting to do that, that is why i would look at exposure compensation and metering mode. Do you get the same results in the same situation with another lens swapped on, as mentioned some of those outdoor shots are shooting right into the sun.

3. You can set it at 2.8 and fire it off on a slow shutter and look from the front to see if it actually closes to 2.8, then you can do the same with 4, 5,6 8 etc to see if the aperture is functioning properly.

3. gleek3r

gleek3r New Member

I have until march 11th. It’s through eBay.
    I will look at the exposure compensation.
    My other lenses feel totally different. But that’s why I’m asking because I don’t know if this lens should be nicer than the canon 85 1.8. (Not L)

Thank you I will take a look and take some more sample photos to check today.
    I just feel like the contrast isn’t there compared to the others. I get what you’re saying about shooting into the light. I’m in the Pacific Northwest. That isn’t even full sun the clouds were out. Mostly though it’s the basketball photo that concerns me bc that’s how I’ll be using it.
    Thank you I’ll test some more.

4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    ƒ2.8 at 1/80 into the direction of the sun, yep its going to be washed out
    do a test at four directions from the sun, show us a varied scene and one with the sun behind the lens,
    i have ƒ2.8 and faster lenses and during the daylight hours shooting into the sun will do the same thing, either turn up the shutter speed or close down the aperture

as for sending the lens back give it a fair and proper test, test in on a tripod vs a cereal packet with small text for sharpness and shoot it at some colourful subjects to see what the colour render is like

i usually only test a new / second hand lens for sharpness and de-centering when i get them
    the indoor images look ok clarity wise

if you do like shooting into the sun maybe time for an ND filter, the ƒ2.8 aperture in daylight is quite a bright one.

also, do you think you are not getting the correct exposure representation in camera?
    using the histogram will help see what is happening in the scene alot more than the light meter on the camera
    i don't know if your camera has exposure simulation? that helps a huge amount too