Canon 550D Tethering Software

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Dobbin26, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Dobbin26

Dobbin26 New Member

Equipment:
    550D
    Good evening, looking for some assistance, I have just purchased a new windows 11 laptop a Tether Tools cable and tried to tether my Canon 550D to it to get back into some studio photography. However, I was dissapointed to find that none of Canon's Eos utilities support my camera and Windows 11. I am looking for advice as to what free software there is out there that would work with my set up. For the occasional use I would use this for photographing my grandchildren I didn't want to have to buy more software. Thanks in advance

2. Dobbin26

Dobbin26 New Member

Equipment:
    550D
    Could I also ask how do I fully remove this Canon utility from my laptop. I have uninstalled but this morning on start up the utility auto launches although I can see no mention of it in the program list within the control panel. Thanks

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    it may be hard for me to fully help, I do not have nor do i plan to have a windows 11 machine in near future.

I assume you removed it from the add remove programs?
    Did it say it removed successfully?
    What version of the EOS Utility did you install?
    Did you make sure to close out the system tray icon before un installing?
    You could try re-installing and removing it again making sure the application was fully closed.
    If that doesn't work I have simply removed the folders and files left behind after an uninstall that wasn't clean, rebooted an used ccleaner to find bad registry entries.

.... Windows can be clunky sometimes ... :)