Canon 650D/T4i huge internal clock lag

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Fred, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Fred

Fred New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6D
    Hi all,

A friend has a problem with his Canon EOS 650D/Rebel T4i.

His camera's internal clock started to lag enormously. In 6 hours, the delay was almost 2 hours! This is very annoying because he can no longer date the photos correctly with the events he is photographing, unless he resets the camera's time every 30 minutes or so, which is definitely not practical...

What could be causing this problem and how can it be fixed?

Cheers

Fred

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023

2. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

I don't know this camera but a search on the 'net found this, hope it helps.
    ==========================================================
    Great and, unlike all the other posts by those who have no idea but state false "facts", your answer is correct. It's accessible via an almost invisible door.
    Its a MS614S ES cell (Manganese Lithium). it pops out of its holder with a small driver or pin.
    The cells are (as you correctly point out) very hard to find. Most of them seem to come with solder tags which are of no use. unless you remove them.
    The Canon Part Number is WK1 5174 0000
    The battery designation is MS614S ES. If there are letters and numbers after this they denote the welded on solder tags, which you don't want.
    Thanks again for a brilliant bit of accurate info.

Aug 30, 2019 by Bob Bell

My Rebel T3i has a clock battery inside a small compartment inside the main battery compartment. If you look inside the battery compartment on the door side, you will see a small compartment where the battery resides. With a very small screwdriver or knife, simply insert the tool into the slot in the compartment cover. Pry the cover open to expose the battery. Using the small tool, carefully pry the battery out of the compartment.
    My battery is marked as a Panasonic MS614. I haven't purchased a replacement yet, as I just removed the old one just now. Whether I can get the battery cover to reclose is yet to be determined. I have read that if the cover won't reclose, it may have to be removed. Wish me luck!!!

Jan 8, 2023 by keingott2k
    ===================================================

3. Fred

Fred New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6D
    Thank you, I already read this article but it is not for the T4i... The T4i does not have an internal backup battery like the T3i. It has instead a soldered capacitor somewhere. These capacitors are much more reliable than lithium batteries and store enough electricity to power the backup date/time for a few months before being drained out. They recharge quickly when you power your camera with a LP-E8 battery.

My friend did a test, at room temperature, and there was almost no time lag after a 5 hours. The 2 hours lag in 6 hours was outside, in freezing (-2°C to 0°C) temperature. It seems that Canon saved a few bucks by using some kind of RC oscillator (very low accuracy and highly temperature dependent) instead of a quartz oscillator (good accuracy, almost temperature independent)...