Canon 70D - err 80 - error 80

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by denn, Mar 1, 2018.

1. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
    + some old manual focus optics :)
    A bit surprised that there's no mention of this anywhere here.

Has no user on CF faced this issue yet?

I've used my 70D for 2+ years...its been quite a lovely relationship..

Last Halloween just before a long travel of a few months, my trusty 70D's screen froze while attempting to shoot the Halloween street parade. It refused to switch off and the only way to do so is to remove the battery.

To make a long story short, the camera never worked well again for more than a few minutes. The problem reaches peak when using the Live View.

After a lot of fiddling that evening desperate to get some shots of a trully beautiful & spectacular street parade, i got on screen an official error code namely Err 80

Got home, looked it up online...i am not alone, infact a good few users around the globe are facing this issue.
    Seems a PCB failure...could be as simple as onboard capacitors can't handle the prolonged heat & are burning out. A similar issue had happened few years ago with nVidia systems and their graphic chips in all computers at the time including Apple, Dell and any & all big brands that used that particular chipset.
    Some brands opened a Recall process to make amends as would be the right thing to do in circumstances like this.

Either way considering that most of us payed €1000+ when this model released, the right thing would be for Canon to acknowledge the error & provide some legit support. But instead it seems the company charges a good few hundred euros to fix this and they treat it more as a customer induced fault & error.

As of now, my 70D has been packed well & is in storage back home...my travel comes to an end in a week & its time to give her a look once back.
    Missed it dearly on the trip as i had no backup cam...it was too short notice anyways as i left 2 days after halloween.

Anyways, i posted this on here to see some opinions from other users, maybe some thoughts how to go about getting this sorted in the EU/UK.

Or some strange kind of magical DIY tricks..eheh

Here's an EU based fb page about the same:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1097179210391610/

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck man! I have no experience with the error or over heating, but if it were me I think I would go camera shopping again. The original 6D is a step up and only a grand now that the mark 2 is out if you want a good option in the same price point. As far as the 70d, I think I'd keep it as a back up and eventually have it serviced if they continue to not acknowledge the issue; thats probably your best value option since any decent backup would cost more than the repair, and the camera is only a generation old.

3. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
    Hiya...yes, you are right, it seems best to get the service done. A bit skint now after travel.....arrhem.. :D ...So, that will have to wait a while.

Although when i do manage to put aside some funds for a new kit, rather than the 6D (which would be great!!) i may look into the Fujifilm X series cams.
    Not upto shelling out another grand on a cam. I don't make money of my photography, its just a passionate hobby so really doesn't justify the spend.

That was a healthy reply back there, many thanks & regards

4. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
    incase someone with this problem passes through here...give this a look..

not sure if it will help knock on canons door, but i gave it a shot & signed :p ..(desperation & the terrible daily emotion of having life pass by without my "not so trusty after all" cam)

www.change.org/p/canon-inc-fix-error-80-in-70d

They are looking at 1500 signatures

5. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
  6. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Good to hear the news. Usually if its widespread a company will acknowledge it :)

7. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
    yes..they sure took their time here though..
    i do think the internet helped a lot of affected users get together on this, happy days all the same.

I'll update if and when the camera actually gets repaired without charge.

Already ordered a used FUJI X just a few days ago, awaiting arrival....this situation gave me a good enough jolt to look towards different companies & their support levels

rayallen likes this.
  8. porkphoto

porkphoto Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Cameras 1DmkIII, 1DSmkII, 50d, 7d, 6d, 70d, 5Ds ,90D , R7, R5
    Lens 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4L IS, 100 f2.8L IS macro, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L IS, 300 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 500mm f4L IS
    I woke up this morning and had an email from Canon. It was a Service Notice for 70D Err70 and Err 80. The camera range was from serial number 00xxx to 22xxx, my 70d is number 24xxx so I'm not affected by this notice (fingers crossed). The notice stated that this is for US cameras only and others should contact their respected Canon Service Centers. I hope this info helps and that you get it resolved soon. Good luck.

9. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
    It is indeed worldwide. As of now seems all Canon websites clearly state the notice.
    We have a long bank holiday weekend here, so coming Tuesday or so i'll post it onto them as the only service center here is on the other side of the country :)

Very nice of them to forward the notice onto you, i'm pleasantly surprised

10. porkphoto

porkphoto Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Cameras 1DmkIII, 1DSmkII, 50d, 7d, 6d, 70d, 5Ds ,90D , R7, R5
    Lens 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4L IS, 100 f2.8L IS macro, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L IS, 300 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 500mm f4L IS
    Here is a portion of the email I received. I'll try to add it to this page,
    Screenshot (339).png

11. Alice Bell

Alice Bell New Member

Equipment:
    Canon
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018