Canon 90D HIGH ISO VS CANON5D IV ISO VS CROP

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Panana, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Panana

Panana New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 70D
    CANON 16-35 F4 L
    CANON 100MM F2,8 MACRO L
    CANON 70-200MM F2,8 II L
    1,4 EXTENDER CANON
    I am an advanced amateur sport photographers and mainly shoot school sport, netball, rugby and hockey. Using currently Canon 70d with 1,4 extender and 70-200 F2.8 ii lens. My camera body got damaged and I need to replace it. I am looking at the Canon 90D (Logic upgrade) but also at the Canon 5d iv , because the light at some of the hockey fields is bad because the games is late in the afternoon. The Canon 70d didn’t focus very well when the light was bad and the image quality at 1600 iso was not the best. My two questions is.
    1) will the Canon 90D image quality with the new Digic processor at iso 1600 and 3200 ( I will not really go higher than iso 3200 if not necessary) be equal to the Canon 5d iv at the same ISO’s with the old Digic processor in the Canon 5D iv

2) If the Canon 5d iv is the winner at the mentioned ISO’s above. Will the image quality be the same , or better if I crop the full frame images by 1,6 compared to the Canon 90D uncropped image because with the full frame I will have to make up on the focal length through cropping. I am going to be short on focal length with my current 1,4 extender and 70-200mm lens on the full frame compared to the same setup on the Canon 90D.

Regards

2. SmokenMirrors

SmokenMirrors New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6DMK2 and M50
    I sure wish someone had answered or commented on this post. I've been looking at those two for 3 months now and currently leaning more towards the 5d4 but the 90 does more fps.

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    whats your thinking on the cameras you already have, the two you are looking at are a crop and full frame, as are the two you have, are you wanting to up grade in Megapixels, are you favouring to upgrade the m50 or the 6dmk2 or as an additional camera to the two you have.
    i have had quite a long look at the specs of the cameras, hard to know which is the better option without knowing your thoughts on what you want out of them.
    also what do you use your current cameras for.

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Each person has different requirements, so one size doesn't fit all.

If you want better high ISO, go for the full frame camera. If speed is more important, go for aps-c camera.

You need to make the call where noise becomes a problem in your eyes, or if your camera can't shoot off enough frames in a second.

Gary

SmokenMirrors likes this.
  5. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I would suggest you post your inquirey to Johnsey as I feel he is the most competent of us to help with a answer.

SmokenMirrors likes this.
  6. SmokenMirrors

SmokenMirrors New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6DMK2 and M50
    Good answer Gary, just don't see it that simple lol but you do make sense lol. I was hoping for more real world reasons from actual users of each camera. Not a techie person so just wanting to make a good decision and not regret it later. i would have already bought the 90D but as I said in another post the reviews are polarizing in a love it or hate it way due to the "resolving" issues. I have not seen those comments n any other camera anywhere so it makes me hesitant even though I would much prefer to spend less lol. I do want to also make prints in the near future so curious if the 90 would be any good for that too? Thanks

7. SmokenMirrors

SmokenMirrors New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6DMK2 and M50
    Thank you Craig, hoping he sees the post too but also I commented similar in another post, thanks bud.

8. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    How big do you want to print? At 300dpi which is magazine quality you can print almost 18x12 with cameras of 20mp, now days many cameras have more than that. I have printed as large as 16x20 with my old 20d which is 8mp (yes i upscaled them a bit in Photoshop) ; ...so I wouldn't worry too much. Print quality is primarily about having a sharp image and printing it a a high enough DPI; and don't over sharpen the image either :)

9. SmokenMirrors

SmokenMirrors New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6DMK2 and M50
    Just have an idea Gary, maybe a pipe dream lol. Want to print some bbq food pics and try to sell them to bbq enthusiast people or restaurants. That 16x20 looks about right or maybe 24x? most of my camera use is video for yt and fb and mostly food pics more for promotional purposes for my online bbq school.
    This was one I just took a little while ago for IG with my 6Dm2 and the 16-35 F2.8 II
    6D works great for the photo part but want to step up videos to 4K and that's my reason to look at 90D or 5D4
    I'm on FB, IG, Twitter, YT as @ArnieTex
    Thanks for the reply.

Attached Files: