Canon EOS 70D - garbage image

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Stefan Nieuwinckel, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Stefan Nieuwinckel

Stefan Nieuwinckel New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 70D
    and quite a few lenses
    My camera is taking 'garbage pictures' like this one:
    [​IMG]

This is a jpg. The same picture in raw has different colors, but is the same kind of garbage. The jpg-file is 'huge': about 27MB.
    Has someone an idea what is happening?

Thanks,
    Stefan

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Is this new, and did it happen suddenly? Looks like the sensor gave out to me, this is not a photo, just a bunch of digital noise.

3. Stefan Nieuwinckel

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 70D
    and quite a few lenses
    Thanks, Johnsey.
    It happened suddenly, after a day of filming.
    It happened once before, but then, after a while, 'normal' pictures came back.
    And a 'sensor that gives out', it means it is broken? Or can it be reset in some way or another?

4. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Filming? For how long? Overheated sensor maybe.

5. Stefan Nieuwinckel

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 70D
    and quite a few lenses
    Thanks, Rayallen.
    During about 5 hours I took about 45 shots, from 20" to 60".
    And can something be done to a overheated sensor? Or is it gone?

6. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Honestly your guess is as good as many of ours, I tried searching for this briefly and doesn't seem to be something others online have posted much about. While it coming back before gives some hope, I imagine it is not very likely.

Also your sensor should not have been hurt by 60 second clip . Recording back to back 30min clips would heat up a sensor quite a bit however, some people people use cameras as webcams and run the sensor straight for extended periods of time.

This is something you probably will have to call and talk to Canon customer service about however.

7. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I have a bit of a heating problem if I am dong a lot of videoing with my 60D, this is not noticeable when I take a lot of still shots.
    The camera's protection from overheating is it limits the size of the file it uses, when it reaches the size limit, then recording stops and you have to start re-recording again.
    With repeated re-recording, the camera heats up.
    The end result of this was some melting of the live-view screen on the top right hand corner.
    The small amount of melting has not affected the use of the live-view screen.
    So the issue.
    The 70D may have reached a point where the sensor has suffered damage.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  8. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

As others have mentioned, overheating can occur after repeated 30 minute videoing. What you have done will not cause overheating. There is something else going on which requires Canon Service to diagnose. I wish you luck and hope that it is not too serious.

9. Stefan Nieuwinckel

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 70D
    and quite a few lenses
    Thanks for your answers.
    I went to my trusted shop in Antwerp - BE (Grobet on the Eiermarkt - Eggsmarket, take a look if you pass by ;-) )
    They couldn't make a diagnosis themselves, it has to be sent to Canon Europe.
    Their guess is the sensor too.
    And their guess is it will be expensive to repair (300 euro +)

Of course I'm thinking about the cause.
    I filmed with a AC/DC power supply (instead of batteries).
    Could it be a kind of power peak because the power supply isn't as reliable as it should be?

10. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    That does sound like a certain candidate, i have heard of other cameras frying their guts out with just off brand batteries.
    best is to let canon know everything that could be a cause then see if their estimate for taking a look and or repair is worth it vs an upgrade / good second hand.
    any insurance relatable to the camera?

11. johnsey

Equipment:
    Looks like the going rate for a 70d with kt lens used is 500ish so that gives you an idea of your choices, if your 70d has a lot of usage on it already maybe its worth just upgrading to a newer model? Some food for thought...