Canon EOS R5 Photo and Movie mode different FOV

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by SeaandSky, Mar 22, 2021.

1. SeaandSky

SeaandSky New Member

I am trying to create a timelapse composite video (mixing timelapse footage with realtime footage) and overlaying the videos using masking. To do so, it is clearly much easier when the images align.

Unfortunately, on my EOS R5 (and perhaps with other Canon cameras) when you switch between Movie mode and Photo mode (as used in timelapse) the Field of View (FOV) changes and the camera appears to zoom out slightly / crops the movie mode picture.

I have tried various things to fix this including:
    Switch photo mode to 16:9 ratio to match movie mode
    Take the timelapse as individual shots
    Take the timelapse using the 'Timelapse Movie' Mode.

In all cases the images do not align. This is on a tripod (but you can see it very clearly when you switch between modes).

Even if you take a photo then take a video of the same scene and take a snapshot of the video, the images do not align!

I wrote to and called Canon technical support. They had no idea and gave an inadequate response about timelapse using 100% FOV (I guess this also means photo modes are 100% FOV) - does this mean all movie modes are cropped?

My firmware is up to date. Assuming this is a design fault, I would suggest it could be fixed by firmware

Grateful for any technical answers to the solution.