Canon G9 Strange Noises and Blue Tint to Pictures

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by abrogard, Mar 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. abrogard

abrogard New Member

Equipment:
    canon g9
    I have this G9 - it is an old camera but new to me. It seems to work well.
    But there's two concerns I have:

1. Sometimes when I'm waiting for the green lamp to light I hear strange noises inside the thing, like parts moving or something, almost like shutters opening and closing. Is that alright? What could that be?

And it always seems to take a long time to go green. Is that right?
    And sometimes it only goes amber but there's nothing really extreme about the light conditions. I shoot anyway and the pic turns out okay. What's that about?

2. I took about 300 pics yesterday outside. Pages of text. The camera set on fully auto - i.e. auto ISO and auto mode.

When I downloaded to the computer I saw that after the first hundred maybe they got a blue tint to them.

No drama I suppose, I can correct them I guess with Gimp or something. But I wonder if it means the camera has problem?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I don't have a G9 but if it operates ok I would not get to concerned with the noises, the only noise I could think of would be during zooming or focusing and wouldn't sound like you described. The amber light is likely the flash indicator light, its possible the green won't come on in these cases but I haven't owned a G-series camera to compare at all.

As for the color tint, you mentioned 300 images so I imagine it took a little while. The lighting conditions could have shifted, a simple example is cloud cover to no cloud cover, or the shade from a tree. I could see a color cast shift in the image as lighting conditions changed. How blue are we talking? If you shoot raw you can use the canon software to adjust white balance after the shot. Does your manual indicate that you can shoot a gray card and select that photo as white balance for the rest of your shots?

3. abrogard

abrogard New Member

Equipment:
    canon g9
    Thanks for that. I'll experiment more. :)