Canon Lense

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by donna charles, Sep 13, 2019.

1. donna charles

donna charles New Member

Equipment:
    Cannon EOs 250
    Hi,
    I have bought a Canon EOS 250D and the manual that it came with is very sparse on information.
    I took the camera out for a trial and was really disappointed with the zoom feature and to be honest was taking closer pictures on my phone.
    I was wondering if I was actually doing something wrong or is the lense that is comes with just not that great ?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hi Donna, I am not sure what lens you have but I am going to guess it is the 18-55 lens as that is generally included as a starter lens for many intro body's. You probably can zoom further with you phone as your phone has at least digital telephoto capability.

If you want to zoom longer you will need something like a 70-200 and I believe there are a few modest consumer grade options like that to research reviews on.

What the camera has that your phone doesn't is the ability to switch from a really wide to a really long lens or a macro or a fisheye. Plus it gives you control over the shutter and aperture: Want to freeze action? shoot a fast shutter, Want really shallow depth of field on a portrait? Use a 50mm 1.4 and shoot it at 1.4 and you have a the background is as soft as butter.

So what I am saying is you have way more power, you just need to learn to use the camera, then make educated decisions on what you want or need from it.

3. donna charles

donna charles New Member

Equipment:
    Cannon EOs 250
    Thanks Johnsey,
    I was just surprised that it didn't zoom in very far, will probably need to invest in a new lense

4. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

I would suggest that you look out for an EF 75-300mm lens. I have one of these and it works well and was not expensive. Here is an example of what it can do on an EOS 20D. This is a model sailboat on the lake in our village. It is probably about 2 ft/60 cms high.
    _MG_3400.jpg

5. Colin

Colin New Member

Equipment:
    T3 & t6i
    And it's spelled "Lens" not lense