Canon LP-E6 Battery Discharge test

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by old4570, Jun 23, 2017.

1. old4570

old4570 Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 60D, 70D,

The two cheapest LP-E6 batteries tested head to head ..

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

2. dmr

dmr Member Site Supporter

Am I missing something? Lotsa background music and a flash of a summary screen. What's the conclusion? How do these compare to the "real" batteries?

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Agreed, based solely on the video all we can surmise is that the two cheap batteries are relatively comparable to each other. Both are no where near the 2200-2600 mAH that they advertise. The canon ones are rated at 1800.

The cheap 3 parties may seem like a good value for the price, but they aren't built as well and I know they are susceptible to failing or charging issues; and even sometimes camera reading issues. I have stuck with the canon brand ones and never even had to replace them. The one in my 20d still works well for a 14 year old battery.

4. dmr

dmr Member Site Supporter

The reason I'm curious here is that I was recently chided by a cow-orker for having a house-brand LP-E6 battery as we were playing show-and-tell with cameras.

I've never seen any difference in performance or longevity/capacity between the original Canon one and the "Re-Fuel" house brand one.

5. old4570

Equipment:
    Canon 60D, 70D,
    Bingo bango !
    It was a direct comparison between the two cheap batteries ...
    I have no new Canon Batteries ...
    But I completed a discharge last night of the one from my 70D ...
    0.3A Discharge to 6v resulted in 1497mAh discharged .
    The better cheap battery is some 8% down on the battery from my 70D ..
    I dont know the vintage , or the number of recharge cycles the battery from the 70D has sustained ..
    I am currently repeating the discharge .. ( Genuine canon batt )

To the best of my knowledge my 60 and 70D turn off around 6.5v ( low battery ) ...
    To be honest , I think 1800mAh might be pushing it ... ( I would like to see that )
    I will do another video for youtube when I have completed this discharge ..
    Again , I don't know how this compares to a NEW Canon battery .. And the $60+ is a little on the nose ...
    I did contact Canon about maybe supplying me with a New Battery for testing ...
    The plan is to work my way through these batteries and put some real hard data out there rather than BS and opinion .

6. old4570

Equipment:
    Canon 60D, 70D,
    Its DATA , make your own conclusion !

7. pcake

pcake Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    i find i do get a little less time on third party batteries (i usually buy wasabi batteries) than with canon, sony and panasonic batteries, but it's not really a problem. i have the battery that came with each camera, and then 2 spares that together with a charger cost less than one of the brand name batteries and together give me at least 1.5x the time i get from the brand name battery. so with the original battery and 2 spares, i have plenty of juice.

8. Harry van Gastel

Harry van Gastel New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    EOS6D, EOS80D, EOS M,17-40mm, 24-70mm II, EF-S 10-18mm, EF-S 55-250mm, EF-M 18-55mm, EF-M 22mm, 90mm TS-E, Samyang 135mm, Sigma 35mmA, 50mmA & 100-300mm f/4 APO, 90EX, 430EX, 580EXII
    I have 2 original batteries, one came with my 6D, one with my 80D. Then there are 2 more, one branded "Hähnel", the other "Lenmar". All of those batteries work just fine with the 6D, I never noticed any difference. But the 80D doesn't work with the Lenmar, it doesn't even start up.
    Software ?

9. BjornO

BjornO New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D/Sigma 70-200 2.8/Sigma 17-50 2.8/3x Ixus
    Like pcake, I got two unbranded ('For Canon') with a charger, and see little if no difference than the original used in my 60D. The copy batteries have one flaw though, they share the same serial, so the camera doesn't differ them.. :p

10. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    While performance per brand may vary and can be close to the genuine batteries, the larger issue I see is with the quality of the components inside the cheap knock off batteries.
    The cheap batteries may have a very similar case to fit the camera body, but inside the circuit board is considerably simpler and the parts they source are questionable as well. Companies like that buy in bulk from really cheap third parties and have a tendency to change suppliers regularly as they need more stock. The less safe guards on the circuits can lead to problems such as charging/overheating/compatibility with the camera etc.. We see issues with cheap lithium battery fires all the time, most recently the fidget spinners with lights in them, and the budget Hoverboards before that. Even the big brand companies have quality issues with battery suppliers they trust from time to time: example all those Samsung phones starting on fire.
    I guess at the end of the day is the extra 45 bucks worth your piece of mind or not.

11. old4570

Equipment:
    Canon 60D, 70D,
    A lot of issues are directly related to current draw ....
    Cheap batteries may not tolerate a lot of current - having said that I don't think digital cameras pull that much current .