Canon M200 problems

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tayler Corkett, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Tayler Corkett

Tayler Corkett New Member

Equipment:
    M200 with lense kit
    hello all,

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to cameras and I've run into a problem with my new-ish M200.

I use the camera for streaming to twitch/Facebook, I purchased an amazon Dr e12 coupler and ac kit for continuous power all worked well.

today I fired up the camera and stream and after 10 minutes I got a flashing red camera with an x going through it and it would shut down shortly after and say it has overheated but the lens or body isn't even warm. so thought it could just be the AC adaptor overheating it so I swapped it out for the supplied battery and it did it again.

could anyone give me any suggestions?

thanks in advance

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I don't have experience with your 200D or streaming with DSLR. But overheating probably would not be extremely evident, the cmos sensor is in the middle of the camera body and probably will overheat and shut off before the body gets really warm. 10 mins seems too fast to me, the firmware limits recording to 4gig increments which i believe are about 25min for that reason. But i could see it shutting off quickly if it was already hot and you tried to fire it up again right away.
    Since i have not done streaming, does this setup write to the card as well saving video and streaming at the same time? A cheap or slow card would cause additional processing heat as well and may have contributed to the situation.

3. Tayler Corkett

Tayler Corkett New Member

Equipment:
    M200 with lense kit
    Hi John thanks for the reply,

The camera doesn't actually record anything. It is connected to an elgato 4k capture card that is in my PC via HDMI. The capture card then produces an image in the OBS streaming software therefore the camera doesn't have to write anything to the SD card.

I did contact Canon support who suggested I purchase their AC adaptor and Coupler and if that failed they would need to repair it. Hopefully it will be under warranty I only got it in January this year.

Im currently at work at the moment but I will try again once I'm home with a fully charged battery.