Canon M5

Discussion in 'Canon EOS M Series' started by zippythezip, Jul 12, 2020.

1. zippythezip

zippythezip Member

Equipment:
    M6M2, M5, M100, G5X II
    EFM, 15-45, 22, 32, 28, 18-150, 55-200
    Decided to start posting items related to my M5 and how its now my fun go to camera. Had it now for about a year and I dont know what got me to buy this camera but I am glad I did.
    Why did I get it? I own a dual sport bike and like to take a camera with me. Started with Pentax cameras and the only draw back was weight in my side bags, plus I always got dust bunnies. Changed to Olympus EM10, EM10/2, EM5/2 and Pen-F. Great little cameras but I find them now also heavy. Canon M5 is the same size as my Ollies and weighs a lot less and has a better sensor. No weather sealing on the Canon and a whole lot less lenses to pick from.
    The M5 is clunky, noisy shutter, no lens selection, but I love the thing. Its like shooting old school the camera and its best lens the 32mm 1.4 have no IBIS or IS, its like a Pentax K1000. All the EF-M lenses are small form factor and good quality, and give me good colours. I like the tilt screen unlike the flippy screen on my Oly EM5/2.
    I will start some different headings for my various lenses to generate some interest. I could adapt EF-S or F glass but thats not what I bought the camera for. I want to carry hardly any weight, and then off the bike and hiking have a small bag to carry. Selling my M43 gear but keeping my Canon and all my Pentax.

2. zippythezip

zippythezip Member

Equipment:
    M6M2, M5, M100, G5X II
    EFM, 15-45, 22, 32, 28, 18-150, 55-200
    To save battery power on M5, turn off wi fi, enable eco mode, turn off camera at switch every time, dont let camera go to sleep....it dont. In some cases have read lens IS keeps going in sleep mode. I get 300 to 400 shots per charge.