Canon PowerShot SX730 - How to fix lens not fully opening?

Discussion in 'Canon PowerShot Series' started by DavidSX730, Nov 29, 2020.

1. DavidSX730

DavidSX730 New Member

Canon PowerShot SX730 HS

When the camera is turned on, the metal 'leaves" that cover the lens should fully open. They do not. See the attached picture. The picture shows the lens partially open with the metal leaves stuck in a half open position. In this half open position I can fully open the lens cover by lightly nudging the metal leaves. Note that when I turn the camera off, the metal leaves do not fully close and again I need to gently nudge the leaves to get them to close.

So how do I fix this? Perhaps there is dirt between the metal leaves, but I am having trouble getting between the leaves to remove potential dirt.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I wonder if some compressed air would dislodge any debris that may be causing the blades to stick? Looks like it is catching both in opening and closing direction so if it is debris it may be lodged in tight given that you nudging in both directions has not dislodged it already. What I fear is there may be something mechanical off, which would require the lens be taken apart to figure out. I imagine there may be something a pin a bit loose sticking out in the assembly that moves back in place with the nudge but travels and get stuck when the blades follow the guide.
    It may be worth a call to canon since this the cost of the camera is a a bit of a investment for a point an shoot.