Canonet QL19E - Working properly?

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by oheric, Apr 24, 2019.

1. oheric

oheric New Member

Equipment:
    Canonet QL19E
    Hi all! I'm new to film photography, and I'm wondering if my grandfathers old Canonet QL19E camera is working properly. Here is the situation.

I can open the back cover and it resets the counter. I close the back cover, and then pull back the lever. It will not allow me to pull back the lever again until I push the button. When I push the button, I hear a small click that seems to originate from the button itself, not from the internals of the camera. The "click" is not loud by any means. Once I click the button, the lever will allow me to pull it back again, which advances the counter. I also tried the timer function, which works and releases the button, again with a small click. Not having a back ground with film cameras, I can't say for certain if the click is as loud as it was designed to be. I was thinking that the button should somehow be releasing the shutter (is that the right word?), which would make a much more audible click. Oh, and I'm not sure if it matters, but I did remove the battery as it was some what corroded and clearly not usable. I have not yet replaced it. Any help or advice is appreciated.