Choosing my first Canon

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by davekelley, Jul 12, 2021.

1. davekelley

davekelley New Member

Equipment:
    Panasonic LX100
    Thanks for allowing me to join. I am on a budget and looking at a used camera from a dealer. I am torn between an eos M00 and M3. I mostly will be shooting landscape and street scenes. Ideally I want the M3 with the Digic7 and duo pixel focussing but that does not exist sadly. My budget is about £250 and I want to keep it to compact/mirrorless take anywhere type camera. I was all set on the M3 because of the control dials for setting Aperture/Shutter etc and ev+/-, and the option to add an EVF, until I read a number of reviews claiming the M3 focussing is sluggish! Everything is a compromise! Since the M100 has the more modern processer and much faster more accurate focussing (at least that's what I have read), should I go for that one. How slow is the focus on the M3, how difficult is it to access priority modes on the M100? I'm hoping to make a purchase very soon so any advice warmly welcomed.
    Thanks for reading
    .Dave

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    Hi and welcome,
    i've read the above and been thinking of a way to help out but i've only have experience of the M50.
    without a hands on test i'd only be relining on youtube reviews.
    one of your options with lenses that might be useful info is you can adapt vintage M42 screw mount lenses, the adapter is around £10 and there are some very good lenses for around £30, the down side is they are fully manual but i've really been enjoying them, i mostly go for the 50mm - 100mm fast primes, just a mention if you are tight on lens budget as well.

davekelley likes this.
  3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Dave.
    Fancy new cameras are out of my league but there are quite a number of members who can help and steer you in the right direction, failing that send Jonnsey a quirey as he is knowledgeable in this area.

davekelley likes this.