Connect ixus 285 hs to Android mobile

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Roni Segoly, Oct 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Roni Segoly

Roni Segoly New Member

Equipment:
    Canon ixus 285hs
    I have ixus 285
    I can connect my android to camera using camera hotspot, but not the other way. When I try using mobile hotspot, it waits (forever) to dedicated app, but it the same app, right?
    So I have to choose connect to mobile, wait till it fails and then open camera hotspot.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I'll see if I can help here but am not sure I follow exactly what your issue is. I think part of the issue is your trying to use the WiFi 2 different ways and have to pick what you want to do.
    • So mobile hotspot is the ability to take your phones data and broadcast it for other devices using the WiFi card in the phone, I'm not sure you are trying to do this for the camera or not.
      • But yes you can take the camera, open up the app find the phones hotspot under access points and connect directly to the web services through the phone and use up phone data plan to do so.
      • This would require you turn on the hotspot feature on the phone so that it is broadcasting a signal before trying to find it with the camera. As noted you will use data, and essentially turn your phone into a pass through to the web for the camera. You can't be connected to home WiFi with the phone and broadcast a WiFi point at the same time.
      • If you are at home the more efficient way to do this would be to connect to your router (probably using WPS) instead as a WiFi point instead.
    • The other option is to open up the camera app tell it you want to create a camera wifi point then you go into the phone and find the cameras wireless signal type in cameras password and connect to the cameras wifi point. Then upload images to your phone.
    So I am guessing the issues are all around which menu you are on and if the device is in broadcast or listen mode.

3. Roni Segoly

Roni Segoly New Member

Equipment:
    Canon ixus 285hs
    I understand well the issues of hotspot.
    The camera can upload pictures several ways
    1. Web services for which I need WiFi network, whether from my phone hotspot or other. This not relevant to what I asked
    2. From camera to phone. That is what I tried. Either the phone or the camera create hotspot, mobile app is opened and pictures are downloaded to phone. In this option I could easily connect when camera created hotspot, and phone joined. But there is also an option to connect when the phone is creating hotspot. I was looking for this option that for some reason fails
    Camera joining mobile hotspot

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Ok I reviewed the camera manual for your specific model, page 91 describes what you are able to do. The only possible connections in the pictured menus on camera that I saw in your manual.. are Camera and WPS Access Point. However on Page 93 it described your issue selecting the camera through the app only after you established a camera to WPS access point connection.

It would help to troubleshoot if you detailed each step you take in which order so I can break down the process.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  5. Roni Segoly

Roni Segoly New Member

Equipment:
    Canon ixus 285hs
    I followed the instructions on manual as well as on quick connect page on mobile app
    1. I Started hotspot on mobile
    I use android and installed camera connect app
    I press WiFi and navigate to mobile option
    I press add device and find my phone hotspot
    The next step is the attached screen on my camera forever
    2. If I choose switch network before, I get an option to open hotspot on camera
    I log my mobile onto that network
    Same app acknowledge the connection and I able to download pictures and use all other related features.

I have no preference between the options but the second one that really work can be used only after first method failed, so it is additional steps

Attached Files:

6. johnsey

Equipment:
    http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300022092/01/elph360hs-ixus285hs-cu-en.pdf

It sounds like the steps followed are for page 93 which is specific to camera as access point. I base this off what you described and the fact the camera was asking for you to start the app on the phone before completing the connection so it is waiting on the canon app on the phone.
    That is described here:
    upload_2019-10-29_8-53-40.png

What your describing is handled using a router as the pass through. You connect to access point then phone connects to it as well.
    I do not even see the steps in the manual to do what you are describing to find the phone as a hotspot. If it did work it would show up as access point you could configure manually as in page 98.
    Even the instructions indicate that the access point must be a router.
    upload_2019-10-29_9-22-59.png

**This is a blurb from someone with a 6d asking the same thing about creating the hotpot with their phone and using the app to find the camera:
    No. In order to use the Canon app on the phone to control the camera, use the phone to see any images stored in the camera, or transfer images from the camera to the phone the phone must connect to either:
    • the network created by the camera
    or
    • a third device providing LAN access to both the phone and the camera.

7. Roni Segoly

Roni Segoly New Member

Equipment:
    Canon ixus 285hs
    The issue was that the mobile phone in that case cannot run the app and also supply the WiFi as hotspot.