Considering an upgrade / second body

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Martin_S, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Martin_S

Martin_S New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS-550d, 18-135 IS EF-S, 70-300 IS EF, 50 f1.8 EF
    Hi,

New to the forum, hoping for some good advice.

I currently have an EOS-550d which I purchased in 2012. I upgraded the kit lens to the EF-S 18-135 IS, I added the EF 50mm f.18 and the EF 70-300 IS f4-5.6 USM. I use my camera for a variety of things - birds, airshows, kids(!)

When the light is good, I'm generally happy with the results, but when the light is less than good, when I have to crank up the ISO, the results are less than I would like - maybe I just have un-realistic expectations. The other issue with the 550d is the continuous shooting rate which Canon claims as 4fps, but it doesn't feel that quick.

So, I've been thinking of an upgrade, and I've got myself confused. I've kind of honed in on the 80d as being (presumably) in the next 'range' up for Canon, and hopefully a better body - perhaps more capable of dealing with sub-optimal light? But when I read the technical specs, the 80d doesn't seem to offer much more than the 800d, which, presumably, is the current successor to the 500d? I've half-looked at the 7d ii as well, but that's a big price jump that I would need to think carefully about. And then there's the 77d and I have no idea where that fits in to the equation!

If I upgrade, it won't be as a full replacement - intention is that, when out and about, put the 70-300 on the new camera, and use the 18-135 on the 550d so I don't have to keep swapping lenses.

Appreciate any thoughts..

Thanks
    Martin

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The 80d has a Digi 6 processor and the 77 and 7ti have the 7 processor as they are newer. Canon puts out updates to the lower end bodies faster (yearly) than the middle and upper level bodies (every few years). If you pixel peep you'll see some small performance gains on the newer processor.

The 77d is a step between the rebel line and the 70/80d advanced amateur line. The big thing here is they kept the rebel plastic lightweight body and a simple UI but added some of the higher end features from the 80d line like top lcd and rear quick dial for those who like to have more custom control. I would still pick the 80 over the 77 and the 7ti even though they are newer and have a newer processor because it has a faster shutter speed, faster FPS, a larger viewfinder, better battery life, more custom functions, and the biggest difference is it has a more rugged body with weather sealing,
    You can pixel peep and find where the digic 7 out performs the digic 6 but they are both significantly better than the digic 4 in your camera. As for your expectations I have the digic 4 in my 5d2 and am generally happy with results up to 3200, but that is me, and I have a larger sensor than yours. I would not view images at 100% you will never print them at that DPI/size.

3. Ajay

Ajay New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 1DX Mark II, 5DSR, 5D IV, EOS R
    In today’s market you can get a used body like 5D mark III would be available for price of a new 77D, better to pick up a less used neat clean used body