Controlling Multiple Cameras with an iPad app or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by WideAspect, Jan 22, 2024.

1. WideAspect

WideAspect New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera with Canon Log
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens
    Sirui A-1205 CP Tripod
    Vello Wireless ShutterBoss III Remote Switch w/ Digital Timer

Mac Pro (2019, Rack Mount)
    AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 Graphics Card
    BenQ SW321C 32" 16:9 4K HDR IPS Photo & Video Editing Monitor

MacBook Pro M3 Max chip with 14‑core CPU, 30‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine

12.9-inch iPad Pro (6th Gen)

X-Rite I1 ColorChecker Photokit
    Serif Affinity Photo
    Apple Final Cut Pro
    In my case, the camera of interest is a Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, I'd buy or rent the other matching cameras.

I'd like to be able to setup each camera, view live image and simultaneously fire all of them, ideally, from a single iOS based app or Macbook Pro if that was available. I know that Canon Camera Connect can make this happen on a single camera, but not on multiple cameras.

There is an example of this and Canon makes it, but its only on an iPhone and my camera is not compatible. The Canon Multi-Camera Control App seems to be intended for multi camera video shoots. The fact that it controls 4 cameras in much the same way as my interests did give me hope, so close, yet so far away.

In certain applications, such as the Matrix movies, this is referred to as 'bullet time.' Unfortunately most of theses types of remote, multi camera firing systems just trigger, no individual camera setup controls. There is a perfect one, the Breeze but it is only compatible with Windows.

My usage and intended outcomes are different but the same technology could be applied if it was compatible with my cameras and computers, – provided the same controls.

Has anyone come across applicable technologies? Much thanks.

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i briefly looked in to this with my canon M50 cameras, one of the ways i thought of was to use the remote for the cameras, as i can only pair one remote per camera i thought of pairing each camera then making a common switch to fire all three remotes at the same time, thats as far as i got but i'll be reading on to see what other solutions there are.

so far i've only needed to fire two at the same time which has been has been one remote and one via shutter

3. WideAspect

WideAspect New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera with Canon Log
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens
    Sirui A-1205 CP Tripod
    Vello Wireless ShutterBoss III Remote Switch w/ Digital Timer

Mac Pro (2019, Rack Mount)
    AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 Graphics Card
    BenQ SW321C 32" 16:9 4K HDR IPS Photo & Video Editing Monitor

MacBook Pro M3 Max chip with 14‑core CPU, 30‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine

12.9-inch iPad Pro (6th Gen)

X-Rite I1 ColorChecker Photokit
    Serif Affinity Photo
    Apple Final Cut Pro
    I would like to control 3 cameras.

I did not see a mention of what computer platform you are based on, if you are Microsoft Windows then there is a nearly perfect software,
    Breeze Multi-Camera.

Unfortunately for me, I am too heavily based in Apple Mac and iOS to purchase a Windows machine to just run this software.

I'll keep looking.