converting RAW to JPEG

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by RICHIEFROMBOSTON, Aug 28, 2022.

1. RICHIEFROMBOSTON

RICHIEFROMBOSTON New Member

Equipment:
    canon EOS R5, EOS R6, eos R
    I have begun to take pretty decent astro shots, but need solid no nonsense way to convert RAW to JPEG I use a Windows laptop and Canon EOS R5 primarily. any real help would be great. Thank You

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    welcome to the forum"RICHIEFROMBOSTON, personally I use photoshop but there are other programs available, some being free. Just go on line and have a look. The first I suggest is Gimp and you will find a series of tutorials on Youtube on how to use it and others.

3. RICHIEFROMBOSTON

Equipment:
    thanks sheriff, tried a free app seemed to work but the pics wont open still. So im looking at microsoft store sadly. Ill update if I succeed

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    What about Canon's own DPP.

Canon's software designed for Canon's RAW files.

Gary

5. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    As Gary has written Canon's DPP program. I f you do not have a copy with your software, then you can get a free copy off the Canon site.

6. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I doubt the Microsoft store will be of any help.

Each professional camera has raw, each brand has made sure that they have software to open their raw files. Major companies like Adobe keep adding support for new cameras as they come out so you need a program that supports the raw file for your camera body. An R5 is pretty new and would require camera raw 12.4. for example. https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

I guess my point is that you need an editor that supports Canon CR3 at the very least and finding a free option outside of downloading the canon software may be hard and require digging into documentation. Once the raw file is open, it can be exported from Canon to a tiff or jpg, Then you can pick any free editor you want.

Frankly the $10 a month is probably worth having everything in one Package via adobe LR/PS combo, since it sounds like you want to simplify your workflow. LR doesn't convert the raw, it saves changes in a file along side the raw, and creates a catalog file. It is your one stop shop you mentioned. You dump files in edit in a layer on top of the raw without changing it, and can of course export a separate copy of an image for web and sending to a printer.

Attached Files:

7. RICHIEFROMBOSTON

Equipment:
    heres the deal i have taken raw astro pic before with the camera nd had no issues I could open them, I could tweak them in PSexpress this time around no such luck I can see them but cant do anything with them other than looking at them. I cant tweak post to social etc. heres what I set camera at. if this helps at all. Im no expert, but this shouldnt be this tough Ive tried rawtherpee 5.8 seemed to work but converted pics are blank. IMG_4277.JPG IMG_4276.JPG

8. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Your settings do not matter, the RAW format is specific to canon and they like to even sprinkle in some formatting specific to the camera model. You need a newer application that lists support for the camera, for example even just getting Photoshop is not enough because you need to run a newer release of adobes raw converter than the camera. It

So PS Express, maybe it had a full functional trial of standard PS. But yes PS if your licensed will allow raw opening and exporting edits if your looking to use your IPad. The non-express application on you IOS device is included in you Adobe subscription and has all features.

Again you either
    1. use the Canon provided software to read raw do exports to tiff/jpg, then edit in anything you want.
    2. stumble through pains of finding a free raw reader and piece together a work flow that will allow export into something you can edit with gimp. This is the same as #1, but you seem to not be keen on the canon Digital Photo Professional application
    3. Invest in an application like LightRoom / PhotoShop or go to other pro tools that will support the camera model you have such as Affinity Pro likely.
    What exactly is your requirements here? Do you want mobile, or desktop? Free? 1 Program?
    I thought it was try to be an easy 1 stop shop, which was the Adobe LR suggestion. If cost is a requirement you will have to open and convert with something like Canon DPP which is free on the website and was part of the instructions in your user manual. Digital Photo Professional 4.16.11 for Windows : https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r5#idReference=software-drivers. Rawtherapee 5.8 was released in Feb 2020 about 6 months before the R5 was announced, so it would not properly support the camera, Looks like they are talking about a possible soon update to 5.9 after two years, but you get this level of support for your investment.

9. RICHIEFROMBOSTON

Equipment:
    Ok so AFTER buying Photoshop to go along with PP I discovered on the new photo viewing setup Microsoft foisted on me, there is a "save as" button that simply and quickly makes it JPEG I couldn't see it initially because of my webcam slide. So thank you for bearing with me, but it seems Im now 5x5 or good to go. here is what I have no PS no filters And im just learning (obviously) to take night shots, my main focus ouray milky way_edited.jpg ouray milky way _4_edited.jpg ouray milky way _12_edited.jpg is video.

10. MohZail

MohZail New Member

Congrats on those astro shots! For RAW to JPEG on Windows, I swear by Adobe Lightroom – straightforward and no-nonsense.

11. MohZail

MohZail New Member

Congrats on those astro shots! For RAW to JPEG on Windows, I swear by Adobe Lightroom – straightforward and no-nonsense.

12. Alfred Pennyworth

Alfred Pennyworth New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Mark IV
    You can do it easily with Lightroom. Open Lightroom and import your RAW files from your R5. You can do this by clicking on the "Import" button in the Library module and then select the RAW files from your camera's memory card or your computer's hard drive.