CR2 and JPG confusion

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by TMC, Mar 10, 2021.

1. TMC

TMC New Member

Hello everyone!
    I've been reading that CR2 is the Raw image file and it looks duller and flatter than the JPG.
    But am I missing something or the files created by my 70D are the opposite? The JPG looks the flatter one.

This is the CR2 file:
    Sem Título.jpg

JPG here:
    IMG_1745.JPG

Is it because I have Cinestyle as the selected picture style?
    Thank you.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Yes, RAW will not be processed in camera, not even sharpening. It assumes you will tweak to your flavor in post production. JPG will have a variety of processing in camera based on your profiles and settings.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

In a word, yes.

I would suggest another jpg style.

Gary

4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    with jpeg for photography i use 'fine detail' in picture stlye and adjust the wb to correct or boost

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    TMC, I have a question what is your goal here regarding shooting? You clearly have been able to use both RAW and JPG?
    I do not know your comfort level with processing or what you goal is. If your question was simply to compare output, that was my feedback that you got what I would expect based on how RAW and JPG work.

I did not suggest anything further as I am not sure what your goals are or comfort level with processing files. If you want to shoot photo styles in camera on JPG that is fine, but keep in mind jpg is a compressed image format and degrades, you have limits to how far you can push it in a photo editor. Your style you used has a very muted color palette so it looks the way I would expect.
    The RAW file is showing exactly what the camera saw with the lighting that was there and the color temperature that was set by you or the camera (likely the camera on auto) . So it does look more saturated than that specific style, but more importantly RAW is like a negative which will not degrade because you don't keep saving and compressing it down, edits are saved outside of the raw file; it also has the ability to pull a lot of information out of it that you can't in JPG. A good example of this is if you try to pull in shadow or highlight detail in RAW vs JPG.
    They both have their place, JPG comes in handy if you don't need to edit much and just want fast output and minimal storage space.