EOS Lens Microadjustment Data Management

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by dlh, May 1, 2020.

1. dlh

dlh New Member

Specifically, for a Canon EOS 5DS R:

I recently replaced a newly acquired but defective lens with another just like it, thanks to ACE Camera, Ashburn, VA, for their terrific customer service. However, I'd already "calibrated" the first lens using the microadjustment facility in the menu system. After the swap, I checked the new one, and sure enough, it needed a slightly different number in the adjustment amount scale. But what I noticed is that the camera's taken the new and different lens to be in addition to all the others, including the one it replaced. I made that inference based on the fact that it said the ordinal number of the new lens is one more than the total number of lenses I've got.

The question is, how does one eliminate a lens from the data list in the camera? Note that I'm not talking about registration of a lens profile, but autofocus microadjustment data. Is there any way to edit that list of lenses?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Never messed with the feature, but from what I understand you are right that it remembers each lens specifically (probably by serial number) . That way if you for example shot weddings and had multiple 24-70's with different adjustments you wouldn't have to worry about which one. Maybe you can do a factory reset or something and clear the list, but I imagine Canon made it hard to forget the lenses on purpose, you wouldn't want to re calibrate after a firmware update would you? My question is why worry about it?