EOS M100 Video Issues

Discussion in 'Canon EOS M Series' started by Kevan, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Kevan

Kevan New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS M100
    I've had this camera for a couple days now trying to get some decent video out of it! I've used a MicroSD card in an adapter in the camera and it records just fine and be viewed on the camera just fine. But when I move them onto the computer they're defective, they don't play! I tried a standard SD card in the camera and it records fine, and view on the camera fine, but when I put it on the computer it's the same thing! I have a 2016 Surface Pro with an i5 processor 8 gigs of RAM and a 256 SSD.....this computer has barely been used and hardly any files on it. I don't see how this computer "cant" handle these video files.... recorded on Auto 1080p at 24 frames......Anybody?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hi Kevin, its likely you do not have the proper codecs to play the mp4 format, these are not supported by windows natively. You will need to find programs which support viewing or editing as needed. To start you can try downloading VLC player and see if you can get them to play with that. Canon allows you to upload them to your mobile device as well an easy way to handle the video. I would not move the card back and forth, you want to format the card and leave it as the cameras formatting is unique. Use the cord or wireless transfer methods and programs suggested by the instructions.

3. Kevan

Kevan New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS M100
    Jonesy,
    Thanks so much for the reply. I knew I was forgetting something in my post and I was sure it would come up.....
    I am using the VLC player on my Surface Pro with Windows 10 Pro.
    I didn't think about the Codecs, just assumed that VLC which I keep updated wood handle everything fine. I have downloaded the Canon app for my Android and I will try giving that a go. Every card that I've used, it seems the camera did an Auto format and put the necessary folders in place on the card. I never did a manual format on the card to Canon specs or anyting. Anyway, I will try using the wireless method and see if that helps and I will inform.
    Thanks again.

4. Kevan

Kevan New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS M100
    I would really love some feedback on this issue....
    I tried to Canon Camera Connect app on my Android phone and everything worked fine. I was able to connect both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. The app functioned fine, then it dawned on me that this really wasn't getting me where I wanted to go.
    I need to get them on the computer so, I was able to connect to the camera remotely from my computer using Windows Media Player and mapping it as a network device. It worked great!
    I was able to remotely view the images on the camera. However it could not find the videos. Which brings me right back to square one.
    I don't know if anybody else has tried this option and/or had the same results? It works fine for the images, but not video, so long story short.... I found a mini USB cable, plugged the camera in and was able to transfer the videos (old school) that way and they played fine!
    Comments...?

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100