EOS R - Good for a first ever camera?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by TKhan10, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Barry Pearson

Barry Pearson New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    RF equipment. Current: R5; R; 15-35mm f/2.8; 24-70mm f/2.8; 70-200mm f/2.8; 24-240mm f/4-f/6.3; 35mm f/1.8. Pre-ordered: 85mm f/2; 100-500mm f/4.5-f/7.1.
    This is my second reply. I hope that isn't too cheeky!

1. Consider what software you will be using. That can make at least as much contribution to your pleasure and image quality. (I pay for Adobe Lighthroom and Photoshop. I think you will get Canon's own DPP software free).

2. Keep the firmware in your camera and lenses, (and battery-grip and flashguns if you have them), up-to-date. This fixes bugs and sometimes adds capability. It doesn't cost anything extra.

2. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

British, born and bred - never even realised we had bats here lol.

3. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

I've actually been pondering quite heavily the last 2 days about the lenses I would need. I feel like the 24-70mm or 24-105mm would cover a lot of ground for and maybe having the 85mm EF at 1.2L ii as the second lens. Having the funds does not necessarily mean that I need to spend it all, I see your point.

Not cheeky enough, mate lol

I'm looking to be using Lightroom and Photoshop also. I always need to hone in the desire to go 'all out' so to speak... it's cost me in more ways than one in the past.

Yes, thinking about it some more, I feel like those 2 lenses are more than enough for me initially. I can certainly give the 16-35mm I miss, that's for sure.

4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    they not about as much now as they starting to go into hibernation, if you goto a lake or pond during the summer at dusk till dawn you will see them, best way to capture an image is with a camera trap set up but i don't have a garden myself so that will have to wait.

5. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Great discussion guys! For weddings the 24-70 is extremely popular. I only have an APS-C camera (7Dii) so I use the Tamron 17-50 - sharpest lens in my kit. When I bought my first guitar my teacher said "Buy the best you can afford" and he was right - I played on a few mates "cheapies" and they were crap. I still have my first guitar and still play. It is a Fender Mustang and still sounds great! Good luck with your new toy!
    Here's some wedding shots where I only used the 17-50. HERE

6. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

I will give this a go for sure. Who knows, wildlife photography may become 'my thing'.

7. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

Thank you for your input and advice, appreciated.

I noticed the regular mention of the 24-70mm when I was watching back to back wedding photography videos... seeing as that's where I wanted to end up, I decided it had to be one of the lenses to purchase for sure. For the DoF i feel it may be best to go for the f/2.8 over the f/4... a little more light to play with, and the option being readily available helps.

Thank you for the link to your weddings photography images. Are these images straight out the camera or edited? Some ofcourse are, like the magazine style cover image, but the normal shots of the bridesmaids and family?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  8. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    try your local cemetery during the day see if you have a local fox family there, we do, a ton more fun than sodding about at dusk for bats!
    going over the local park and using pigeons or other birds in flight makes good target practice for moving subjects, learns you a skill set and what works for that on your settings.
    the more you do something the more it becomes second nature.

when i first started at start of this year i kept a few of my best images, one for each new scenario as a protected image on my memory card so it was always there as a setting reference i could check.

9. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

There's actually a great location/park near to where I live. We usually tend to find a few different types of birds around there, should be a great chance to get some snaps. The Park is located near Aston Villa Football Club so that could give me a chance to get some pictures of the stadium also.

10. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

This is a great idea, never even thought of that