Eos Webcam Utility causing Err 70

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by William A von Hofsten, Apr 29, 2021.

1. William A von Hofsten

William A von Hofsten New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 80D
    EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    So I have been using my EOS 80D and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens with the Canon Webcam Utility for about a month now.

But as of yesterday, with no changes knowingly made to my hardware or software, My camera will start up just fine connected to my Win 10 PC, and looks great, but then after 1 to 2 minutes in, it will click the shutter (like when switching from viewfinder to lcd screen view) and simply state on the display of the camera "Click the "view" icon to start shooting"

And on the small top view screen it blinks and says "Err 70"

The only change I can think of happening would be that I started using the camera in Video mode, instead of Photo mode, for the 16*9 natural crop when using the Webcam Utility.

Shooting pictures with the camera is fine, video is fine, all is fine even with the dummy battery pack connected but with the Webcam Utility this happens.

Any ideas of anything I could try?

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Have you checked for Windows updates, the software that you use to make your camera work as a webcam is up to date. And finally what about the cameras firmware? Is it running the latest version?

Gary

3. William A von Hofsten

William A von Hofsten New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 80D
    EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Hi there,

I hadn't actually checked the firmware, and I was one version behind. Updated to the 1.0.3 version and still the same problem.

It happens in both Zoom during meetings as well as in Streamlabs OBS. Both of the programs, as well as the Canon Webcam Utility are all updated to the latest version, as is Windows.

Will

4. Jan Booo

Jan Booo New Member

I've had the same problem too.
    This Thread is a bit older now but there is not much information in the internet about that specific problem.

I was able to solve the problem by changing the mode from manual to P. I think you can use automatic mode too. Now it works as it should. Maybe there is a problem with the combination of shutter, ISO and aperture the webcam utilities can't handle.

5. Ellinor William

Ellinor William New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90DSLR
    Scotty likes this.