EOS650 with 35-80 lens - info on lens needed

Discussion in 'Canon Film SLRs' started by LongHairedDavid, Jan 12, 2022.

1. LongHairedDavid

LongHairedDavid Member

Equipment:
    Canon 90D, 18-55 Canon Zoom, Canon EOS650 + 35-80 Power Zoom
    Hi there.

After years of digital photography, I feel a need to go back to my roots - Zenit 35mm SLR B&W back in 1973. I used rot do my own developing and printing. Not sure that I am going to printing this time but I am getting back into B&W film.

I have bought a Canon 650 (my first Canon purchased in Singapore when they were first launched in the late 80s) on EBay and have a battery and a couple of Ilford HP5 24 shot rolls coming. The 650 came with what is described on the lens as 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 Power Zoom. The only controls are a button to zoom out and one to zoom back. That's all I know. I assume that it is powered from the Camera?
    OK so here is the lens. Can anyone give me more details or a link to a review because I couldn't find any.

Attached Files:

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
  3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Well, I have admit that I have seen or heard of one of these before. Have fun with it, and let us know what you think of it.

Just to add to this thread. I am guessing that the power lens uses the battery in the camera? A 2CR5 battery, you can still get buy them easy enough. But I brought an EOS 630 a couple of years ago, I really like it for what it is. But the only negative I find with mine, is that it eats the battery if you leave the battery in the camera. Even with the camera switched off. There are two ways around the problem, remove the battery when not using the camera, or do some minor surgery on the camera. I do the former, but I will have a go at the latter in time. I am not saying that you are going to have this problem with your camera, but it is something that is worth keeping an eye open on.

Enjoy your new to you gear.

Gary