Err 01 with Eos 60d and EF-s 17-85mm

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tom0952, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Tom0952

Tom0952 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 60d, Canon EOS rebel t3, Canon EF-s 17-85mm lens, Canon EF-s 18-55mm Lens
    So, I tried to use my Eos 60d and EF-s 17-85mm today but got the error 01 which is the communication between the camera and lens being faulty.

I then searched online for a solution for this error which the most common advice was to gently clean the contacts on the lens and camera with a soft cloth. After doing this the issue was still present. I then tried the same lens with my other camera body (Eos Rebel t3) which it worked with. So, I thought it was an issue with the body but I tried the previous body (Eos 60D) with a different lens (EF-s 18-55mm) which worked perfectly fine.
    I'm not sure what the issue is. Anyone who can help will be great.

2. Ellinor William

Ellinor William New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90DSLR
    Check if the lens is properly placed on the camera. You can also use DSLR lens cleaning fluid to clean.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    No idea, but have you installed the latest firmware?

Gary

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Dirty or damaged contacts can happen lens or camera, are you able to test the camera with a different lens. The lens working on another camera seems to lean the contact on the camera as the issue..

Contacts can have dirt & grease which light cleaning will solve, sometimes a light swipe with an eraser can fix, but that can also damage a soft metal contact so use at your own risk. As Gary mentioned, before trouble shooting its always best to make sure you have the latest firmware, canon will usually ask this if you call them.