Extended battery for EOS R6

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Bruce Berger, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Bruce Berger

Bruce Berger New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6D, R6, many lenses
    I hope someone is in the same boat as me and came up with a solution. I have a new R6 and a couple of 6Ds. I shoot a lot of unattended time-lapse, sometimes 8-10 hours at a time. I'm looking for a portable, field-use external battery that will power the camera without having to change batteries. I have an extended grip for the 6D, but I need something, preferably an external battery pack that I can connect to the CANON dummy battery I already have. The trick is the voltage has to be somewhere between 7.2 and 8.4 volts.
    Has anybody come across something that may work?
    Thanks,
    @BruceBergerAstro

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Bruce. My only suggestion is can you hook 4 batteries up in tandem, hooking them up to the camera would be a issue, try GDN, he is into Astrophotography.

3. Bruce Berger

Bruce Berger New Member

Equipment:
    @GDN, Hello Gary, I'm, new to the forum and have been shooting Canon for over 20 years. @Craig Sherriff thinks you might have a suggestion for an external battery pack for an R6. My night time lapse shots are lasting 8 hours or sometimes more, especially with Winter getting close here in the US. I don't want to buy a grip, at least not at more than US$ 300. Any suggestions?

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello Bruce and welcome to the forum.

I am in a similar boat to you in the fact that need external batteries. But I use 12-volt batteries which are easier to pick up. This battery is used to power my mount, but for my camera, I take extra camera batteries and swap them out as they drain. When I brought my camera, Canon NZ were giving away a free battery, and I ended up being given an extra one on top of that. I have three batteries, and I am yet to chew through all three in one night. In fact, I am yet to drain two of them. And I have a RP, and the batteries are pretty small.

Of course, this does not help you out with your problem.

So, I put my thinking cap on which is dangerous at the best of times, and I went looking on the internet.

What I was thinking is can you connect your dummy battery to one of these?

7.2V Ni-MH 3300mAh R/C Battery | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand

Or an equivalent sort of battery from a supplier in your neck of the woods. You may have to change the connectors on it. If one battery is not enough, I would wire a second battery in parallel. What sort of amperage drain does the camera draw per hour? Or how long does the camera work with a fully charged internal battery? You then should be able to work out if you need one or two batteries.

I would also put a multimeter across the battery once it is fully charged before connecting it to my camera to see what it is actually outputting.

Let us know what you think.

Gary

5. Bruce Berger

Bruce Berger New Member

Equipment:

6. Bruce Berger

Bruce Berger New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks Gary! I often leave my camera out all night, unattended, so changing batteries is not always going to work. I did come up with a solution that I think will work, and I'd like to share it.
    I use a TalentCell 12V + USB Li-Ion Battery Pack to power my camera tracker, and sometimes dew heater for the lenses. I purchased another of these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ME3ZH7C?psc=1 and also a 12V to 7.5V 3A Buck Converter - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C66B3PM?psc=1, both on Amazon. The Battery Pack is rated at 12,000 mAh, so roughly 5-6X the capacity of a single LP-E6NH. I already have the Canon Dummy Battery Coupler - https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/dc-coupler-dr-e6c?color=Black&type=New so I'll attach all with some proper connectors and see what happens.
    Happy to let the group know how this all works out.
    Bruce
    @BruceBergerAstro

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2022
  7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Good news that you found a possible solution.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Gary